Thoughts on mating ML ESL 11 A's to a butler TDB 2250 hybrid amp

Looking at the butler TDB 2250 Amp to drive ML ESL 11 a's kinda settled on the Parasound Halo A21 until was pointed in the Butler direction. Any thoughts? Will be using a Linn Majik DSM as source and pre amp.

pvmike

Showing 2 responses by eziggy

I just demoed a bunch of different higher end amps with the 11As.  This is all about taste, really depends on the types of music you listen to and sound signature you like.

Biggest take away for me is that the ML electrostats are naturally warm and transparent speakers.  What you pair it with is really makes a difference and you can hear the differences pretty quick.  For me, the best pairing is an amp that has crisp highs, lush mids, controlled bass.  I ended up ordering the Luxman 509x to replace my MC452, which felt was a bit too warm for MLs.

If you do decide to go the class D route, you may want to check out the NAD amps/integrateds as well.  I haven’t heard them myself but seem like a good bang for the buck.
I definitely agree with jtucker on  the Manleys, the 11As are rated at 4 ohm average, dipping below 1 ohm, so don't thinks it's a good match.