Thoughts on Marantz AV8802a vs Rotel RSP 1582

OK so I love both 2 channel and HT and am building my little man cave and need a good pre/pro for both.  The two I have narrowed it down to are, as the title reads, the Rotel and the Marantz.  The Marantz has the definite edge with the latest HDMI, but according to Rotel they have, or will have the upgrade any moment.  Any strong opinions for either?  The rest of my system is listed below.  I have some inexpensive Klipsch surrounds I will probably hook up for ATMOS but 2 channel is REALLY important.  Thanks in advance........   

Front B&W N803 and a HTM1.  
Rear B&W N805 and a HTM2 
Sub Martin Logan Dynamo 700 x 2
Rotel 1095 bi-amped for front and center
Rotel 1075 bi-amped for 805 and center back
65" 4k Samsung 8000 series
Ordered Oppo UDP-203
reefmadness

Showing 3 responses by paraneer

but 2 channel is REALLY important.  Thanks in advance........
If 2 channel is really important than get either pre/pro and another piece of equipment - a 2 channel analog preamp with an HT Bypass function.  There are many available.  Connect your 2 channel sources to this and enjoy the music! 

To reinforce mgreen's position, serious 2 channel HiFi and HT stuff are two different worlds.  And the biggest difference is usually found in the stereo preamp section of a good HiFi system.  The preamp section in an AVR or a TOTL pre/pro like your considering is merely an afterthought even in so called "pure direct" mode.   

After a 12 year affair with the HT mistress always being left unsatisfied with music, I returned to 2 channel only and couldn't be happier.  And that was using a variety of flagship AVR's and HT separates. 

But these two worlds can be easily and elegantly be brought together by use a stereo preamp with an HT Bypass feature.  You can still use your Rotel HT amps in this configuration.  This is why I so quick to suggest one.  And you can now pick the pre/pro that you want without worry of which will be best for 2 channel as neither really will.

OK so it seems pretty clear a 2 channel pre is in my future. Any recommendations on units with the HT bypass and a cost of less than 1500? I don’t mind going used.

Again thanks for the great advise
You’re welcome and your making a wise choice getting a 2 channel preamp with HT Bypass. Here is a pretty comprehensive list of units that you can start researching. There should be several, new or used, around your budget of $1500. Scroll down for the preamps.  Good luck to you and let us know how its going.
http://www.audiophile.no/en/articles-tests-reviews/item/426-amplifiers-with-processor-input