Thoughts on Big Star

I've read a little about Big Star after getting two of their songs on a southern music CD sampler. I really like "For You" and "Stroke it Noel". After sampling some of their other stuff I found that I also like "September Gurls".

I really like those three songs but I'm having a hard time finding other stuff of theirs that I like.

Just wondering if anyone else is into them, which albums you might like best, which songs you like best, best approach to getting into them, which recordings/format you prefer? 

They seem to have been one of those 'influential' bands with critical acclaim and with a strong but small following. Sometimes I find that I just don't see the magic in some 'cult' bands of that sort but liking the three songs mentioned above I feel like they might be worth getting to know. My only streaming is low end iTunes....for now.
n80
I’ve been listening to Big Star this afternoon. I have "3rd" on 4 Men With Beards and now the copy I recently won is "3rd : Sister Lovers" on PVC.

Looking closer, it seems I have the 1985 Jem release, no bar code. The first release of "Sister Lovers" was apparently in 1978 on (Visa Records).

The only difference I can hear between these two pressings is the 4MWB is a little more open and lacks some of the warmth of the other pressing. IE: the 4MWB is slightly thin by comparison.

Right now, I like the PVC pressing better. One thing I do know is that I haven’t listened to this record near enough. Greatness!
For Alex Chilton fans, look up the song "Make a Little Love". I've had it in my CD collection for years without making the connection between him and Big Star (because I didn't know anything about Big Star). You are probably aware of it, but if not, great song. Very unlike Big Star stuff though.

n80 I agree, that is a great song. It's off the album "High Priest", also recommended.