thought on eBay?

I've bought and sold things on eBay, but never $$$ audio equipment. I have had good experiences with Audiogon and AudioMart but I'm cautious about eBay, if only because many sellers often have little history with audio gear. I'm looking at an item that will likely end up in the $4k range from a seller who doesn't accept returns and has almost no record of selling audio equipment but does have an extensive and excellent record of buying and selling other things. 

1) In general, would you guys spend many thousands of dollars on eBay if there are no red flags--or do you say "never eBay" for big purchases?

2) Can anyone explain the reality of eBay's policies? I can see the "money back guarantee" if the item arrives "broken, damaged, or faulty." But I've also heard plenty of horror stories out here about companies that offer similar guarantees in theory but are awful to deal with in reality. I'll add that sometimes "faulty" for stereo gear can be a vast grey area.

So, bottom line: would you make a big audio purchase through eBay, especially from a seller with little visible audio experience?
northman
I have bought lots of audio equipment on ebay.The only problems I had was how the seller packed the equipment.their guarentee is great. I've bought Speakers,amps,receivers ,tape players ,cd players. The damages were with turn tables I had bought.If they dont have the orginal box your going to have problems.Cds and lps hundreds of them probably a thousand cds and cd boxsets.Problems there was cds missing .I only buy unattached cds.VG or VG + vinyl  lps.
My worst audio purchase ever was on eBay.

One of my best audio purchases ever was on eBay.

The best: I got a Koetsu Rosewood Signature for about $1,000 from a seller in the UK. The ad was simple, short, clear with detailed photos. I had a few questions that the seller answered to my satisfaction. It arrived quickly, in good shape, as described. The seller said the needle had about 1,000 hrs left. That turned out to be more or less correct.

The worst: I bought a Velodyne ULD15 for about $600 from a seller in Colorado. The ad was very long, very verbose, and with many but slightly out of focus pictures. I asked the seller questions about compatibility that were answered. Once it arrived, it sat around for a few weeks due to the death of my father. I noticed a small tear in the surround which was not described and did not show up clearly in any photo, though now that I knew the tear was there, I could sort of see it in one photo. Once I got it plugged in, it did not perform as well as I expected. I had forgotten that the servo uses a second chord to communicate with the driver and it was missing. I ask the seller if he forgot to include the chord. He refers me to his “technician” who says he doesn’t know anything about a cable, it doesn’t need an extra cable to work. I download the user manual and learn that that is technically true but then the unit is not functioning optimally. The ad headline said “Sub and server”. I read the ad again, and buried in very fine print, towards but not at the end of 1,500 words - in hindsight I see meant to obfuscate - is a line that says “cable not included”, this even though the technician says he knows nothing about the cable. The cable used a non-standard 5 pin end but Velodyne by then was out of the sub business and did not have one to sell, and I could not find an aftermarket one, so I’d have to have one made. My engineer said he could do it for $120.

I file a complaint with eBay. It falls to someone in the Philippines with bad English to fail to satisfactorily explain why eBay took the sellers side.

The seller had a 100% rating, with good reviews, and sold a lot of higher end gear. all of which which I was in part relying on. I was loathe to leave negs at the time, and by the time I realized that the seller was deceptive, the 3 month period expired. Now, if I have a problem, I leave a neg immediately.

Fortunately, I bought it on a 6 month no interest no payment plan through PayPal, so I unlinked my accounts, refused payment and cancelled my PayPal account. The seller got his money, and PayPal paid for the unit. The sub sits in my basement.

I since bought another Velodyne ULD15, from a seller in Maryland. I went there, examined it, tried it out. It’s the one in my system now.
Thanks again everyone. I've bought and sold some things over the years but never a big-ticket/niche-market item. 

One thing that does seem true to me from observation is that Audiogon and AudioMart sellers generally have a sense of the audiophile world, know what questions to expect, know how to evaluate equipment. It feels a bit looser to me on eBay. More kinks and stories. (Just yesterday there was a pair of Pass 60.8 mono blocks for auction, sold by a pawn shop going out of business with the seller away for a month. Today the ad is ... gone. It's even gone from my "recently viewed" items.)

For audio I will not shop eBay, to many scam artists.  I have used flea bay non audio related items and had very good luck.

NO eBay for audio.

For audio, I’ve used them 3 times:

(1) Year 2000, bought a Marantz 4140.. seller shipped me a 2240. A clear case of fraud. It took me a month and I ended up paying 50 bucks for the receiver because I didn’t want to have to ship it back... eventually I gave that away, not one of Marantz’s good receivers.

(2) Year 2015, bought Radio Shack APM-200 power meter from a seller that carries only audio. Good transaction.

(3) Year 2021, bought another APM-200 from a mixed seller. POS. Took me 6 weeks to get my money refunded.

I buy a lot, sell a little, of audio stuff and I NEVER use eBay for electronics anymore.