Thorens TD520 vs a restored Thorens TD125

I have been going around looking to buy my first TT, listening to many tables in the last one month. My current inference is that, mid level "modern" TTs (within $5k) dont cut enough for me. May be because they are designed to be revealing, they also end up revealing their own flaws :-). Either they sound thin or slow or sometimes very CD like. The good modern TTs are all in the 10k range (I am talking about the price of the table only).
Interestingly I still like the classic old school TT sound from the likes of Thorens TD125/160, Garrard 301 etc. There is something about their sound which is sweet and "analogue". They do lack detail and micro dynamics of the new age table but still have some rightness to the music. I dont know how to describe this character and what makes them do it.

This is the reason I have taken a step back and again started considering the older TTs. Currently there are two TTs on Audiogon which I am considering,

1. Thorens TD520 (stock with Thorens 12" tonearm)
2. Thorens TD125 MK2 totally restored by Christopher Thornton of Artisan Fidelity with Origin Live tonearm.

I have not heard any of these TTs and being in Singapore doesnt help. I have heard Thorens TTs and like them.

Can someone please post some opinion on which of these would be a better performer sonically ? I know both TD125 and TD520 were reference models of their time but the 520 definitely looks like a bigger performer. I am confused.

BTW, I have another thread running in the Analog section where we are discussing modern TTs to consider. I wanted to keep the classic TT discussion seperate.
pani

Showing 1 response by geoch

When a fellow Agoner ask for advice about purchasing a classic Thorens, I would choose to point the 124 in his consideration. When one can overcome his fears of getting involved in restoration perhaps more than he is intented, the outcome not only justifies the effort, but the great pleasure of the ressurection procedure go beyond the limits of the so called "pride of ownership" as this TT can satisfies the collector & the demanding music lover with no equal in all of the industry's creations. I've used to have the 125 & 320 in my youth. But 30 years back my demands were not the same and today I regard my 124 II as the best TT I've ever had after many losted $$$ on contemponary "high-end" BS fashion units. James Campbell (jec965) was of a major help with his motor service, bearing cup, silicone motor pads, armboards and Mirko (sq38) with his new idler wheel. The personal involving procedure of lubrication helps me to understand the unbelievable level of engineering development & the high standards of the materials that this studio quality TT offers. Of course all of this disassembly and reassembly that I've done, was due to your site Steve. Thank you.