Thorens TD147: raising tonearm

Hello,

Even though I have been a member of Audiogon for a long time I have never posted a message.

I have a mint Thorens TD147 Jubilee which has been in the box for several years and decided to make it part of another system on another floor at home. I installed a very low hours Ortofon MC30 MKII Super which was mounted on another arm.

I have followed Thorens instruction manual but I cannot raise the tonearm high enough to clear the bottom of the cartridge, the Ortofon runs very low, at about 2 or 3 mms from the surface of a record, sometimes it touches it.

This second system is comprised of a Klyne 6LX3.5X, Electrocompaniet AW-100 Anniversary power amp, Meridian 507 CD player and Aerial 10T speakers.

Am I using the wrong cartridge for the TD147 or am I overlooking something here?

Thank you very much in advance.

Orazio
f456gt

Showing 1 response by ddarch44

Perhaps the arm itself need to be raised. With the table off and the arm in the last track of an lp, place a lined notecard behind the arm. Ideally, the arm should be level with the lines on the card. If your arm is too low, that could be causing the issue with the cueing.

If yes, there are also allen head screws near the base of the Thorens arm for raising/lowering. Be forewarned, sometimes it takes some gentle force to raise or lower due years of disuse.

Dave