Thorens TD145

I have a Shure V15 that now plays only 1 channel of a stereo LP, so I'm guessing that the cartridge is failing. Checked and moved all connections to confirm that the problem is not associated with the tuner or speaker connections. If this is a symptom of a failed cartridge, what are some newer cartridge options? I'm considering a Shure M97? But will it fit, etc.

Thanks
deltahawk45

Showing 1 response by msiebers

It's pretty easy to test if the cartridge is failing. Change the connections at the cartridge while leaving the turntable rca's plugged into their current location. With the phono preamp turned off, of course, swap the red and white leads and then swap the blue and green leads. This swaps the left and right channel of the cartridge.

If the same speaker has sound as before the swap, then the cartridge is OK and the fault lies with the tonearm cabling. If the sound now comes from the other speaker, then the cartridge is the culprit.

If it is the cartridge, you won't be able to fix it with a new stylus, you will need a whole new cartridge.