Thorens TD 166 MK II Suspension?

I found a pretty close to mint one of these the other day for $12.
Anyway should the suspension springs be upgraded/replaced? Seems a bit bouncy to me. This deck was clearly cared for. It was in the original box. I bet it came out of a storage unit.
It works, and sounds great.
I have no personnel experience with Thorens.
My biggest complaint is the spindle. I have had to push records down onto the spindle.
It sounds great. Although I like my Luxman PD 272 very much.
laviathon

Showing 7 responses by laviathon

But that spindle is a pain. Some records, not all have to be pushed down onto the spindle though.
It does sound nice. I have to get a new stylus. I would like to replace the one that's on there now.
Sonus I believe. I think it's the original cartridge.
I have a Grado that I could buy a stylus for.
With the spindle issue I will go back to the Luxman. I think the Luxman is a superior deck.
That Luxman deck is very well built. Sounds great. It's because the Lux decks were made with only a few of them being upgradable that they don't get much fanfare with the exception of a few models.
The Thorens sounds great. But I should take my records and play them on the bare metal platter? That won't solve anything except cause me to have to push the record further down on the spindle. I have a valuable record collection that I would like to keep nice.
I have records I would like to play without pushing them down on that half ass spindle.
I just find this recommendation odd. If anything you would want a thicker mat, and raise the arm. That makes more sense then the opposite.
And the stock Luxman arm has no plastic, and is excellent.
I will tinker with the Thorens a tad more, but I am not impressed. Thankfully I never spend anything on this stuff.
To each his own. The Luxman cost $15 with a perfect condition Grado Cartridge/Stylus. And doesn't bounce. Laughing.
I was on that site before asking any question on here. I did not see the posted link.
Another mat on top of the mat that came with deck did help a little with the spindle issue.
Would like to find a stylus for the Sonus Green Cartridge that's on there.
I must admit that the deck does sound very nice.
Can't complain for the price.
And a Sonus Gold/Blue would beat the Shure easily. So would a few others around that price range.
Otherwise your comment is childish.
I am done with this.
I decided to go back to my Luxman PD 272.
Stock I see know difference with the exception that the 272 is nicer looking, you can mount just about any cartridge on it, and it does not bounce.
I am not a fan of suspension decks.
I have picked up a few Duals in the past, and to some extent that's what the Thorens reminds of. I hate that headshell on the Thorens.
The Thorens will find a new home. That's the good part. No buyers remorse. I had a feeling that when I found it I would flip it.