Thorens TD 160-significant upgrade possible $1500?

Hi,
My current (budget) system includes a well sorted Thorens TD-160 with a Grade Blue cart. Amp is a Musical Fidelity A3.2 with a built in phono stage, and some Sonus Faber Concertino speakers.

If I had $1500-2000 to spend on a used TT and preamp, could I get a significant improvement in sound? I would be thinking along the lines of a VPI Scout and a $500 phono preamp (Parks Budgie?). For the time being, the MF A3.2 and speakers are likely not up for change.

I listen to mostly classic rock, alt rock, jazz, and folk. I'd like a little more energy and separation, if that makes sense.

thanks in advance
adnan
"moving coil" not "moving could" Sary fir thet tyypings airor.
Ok thanks! The view here seems to be to upgrade the cartridge first before going after a new turntable. This sounds good to me- does this mean that my Thorens 160 is a good enough platform to invent a new cartridge in?

thanks
You did not mention the tonearm you have on your TD-160. I owned one back in 1982. I was using the original Garrott Brothers P77, one of the great moving magnet cartridges, on an Excel Unipivot arm.

I did replace it with a lightly used Linn Sondek and that was an upgrade, as one would expect - or at least hope. A lot of music in those TD-160s though.

Regards,
You seem to want "jump" a Rega 3 TT would be ideal for you.
There is also the so called 'super TD-160' modify in UK
with damping and other improvements. This one was preferred
in Europe above other Thorens versions. You can save this way
about $1100 from your budget.