Thorens TD 146

I found very little info on the 146. Much more on the 145/147. The tonearm looks a bit different than the 145 arm. I assume this a good performer for the money, going for $300-$600, depending on condition. My guess is it doesn’t reach lofty heights until the tonearm swapped out to a Jelco, SME, ..... I have an opportunity for a very clean one locally.

fjn04

Showing 3 responses by oldhvymec

Well there is a TD146 and there is a TD146 IV (I think) 

I'm not sure because I've never seen one. They did what I call a type II of a lot of their TT.

TD166 and the then the Type II slightly smaller footprint. 

It's an older Thoren it will be fine. I've used the belt style for 35 years and the 121-124 for 50 plus years.. My favorite. Right there with Russco, QRK and Sparta for me.. The smaller footprint like a 166 II is a great TT too.

145,46,47,50,60,65,66 parts are everywhere. The tonearms are good quality if they have been taken care of.. Two or 3 kinds. Aftermarket, like you said Jelco, SME, Lynn, Micro Seiki. Repair kits for motors, suspension, plinths, vibration control additional tone arms. Most parts are interchangeable, Quack Quack..:-)

Did I mention I have a crap load of Thoren STUFF. LOL

Have fun ay..

Regards

They have an auto stop. I swear I've never seen one. I've seen the clutch that was suppose to help with sudden stop, it could be the auto stop. I've replaced a few of those. The clutch fails or is broke off. 

I guy just fixed one of those too. He's pretty thrifty.. Added an after market shaft and aftermarket clutch I think. Maybe he'll chime in..

Thoren is the Bomb. Great decks. I have a 2030 that is pretty friggin' nice too.

Still like a 121 or 124 better they have a break for Queing and speed control for recording.

Russco are Garrard killers.. Look at one of those, they have a gear shifter, (no kidding) and a washing machine motor. :-)

We load the rabbit every now and then. He's a good sport. He'll stay on for a while then BOING!

Regards