Thorens TD 145 MK 1 ; How Many Tonearm Options Are There?

I have a Thorens TD 145 MK 1 with the original TP 16 tonearm. I set the tracking weight via the tonearm weight and leave the dial at 0. The arm lift no longer operates. I've done much to Frankenstein this table, i.e. thick hard maple plinth and plywood bottom, sub chassis and partial chassis dampening, Herbie's record mat. And, given that I like my Audio Technica AT 33 mono cartridge, the next logical step would seem to be a tonearm swap out. Of course, the most obvious choices for a new tonearm would be an SME, Rega, Mission, Jelco, Linn. However, my curiosity tells me that there may be some unexpected tonearms that would also fit nicely, like an Origin Live or a Thomas Schick tonearm.
The second part of this question would be whether adding a new tonearm to this Thoren is worth the trouble, or should I abandon it and allocate the money towards a Rega P 6 instead?
goofyfoot

Showing 1 response by goofyfoot

mattmiller, I had the Grado Statement (low output) Sonata 2 on my arm but I prefer the mc AT33 mono cartridge. With a much better tonearm, I'd consider a higher end mono cartridge.
williewonka, thanks for the Audiomod info. The series 5 has a reasonable
price tag. Well worth considering.