Thorens 124 compared to new best tt

I tried to ask this question on vinylengine but did not get a single reply...

I like a lot TD 124 sound (and look too!), but I was always wondering what place in ladder it would take as compared to newly made TTs, such as VPI, Michell, Verdier etc..

Anyone had an experience?

Thanks
salavat
Don't know if this will help you, but my personal progression is as follows.

VPI Scout with SDS, then the Michelle sounds much better to me than the VPI, then the Teres 255 kicks it's butt, then the TD 124 stopped my TT upgrade (but not buying another TD 124 and a Garrard 301).

My personal experience only and yours might not be the same. IMHO, skip the VPI. I also had the opportunity to baby sit a Scoutmaster Sig for almost 4 months ($6000 when my friend bought it, I was with him). I cannot compare it to the Michelle or the Scout at the time since both I already sold. But even my lowly Teres 255 sounds better than the VPI in all accounts, no comparison. I did not bother to compare the Scoutmaster Sig to the idler drive tables I have because I figure, what's the point?

Having said all that, you might want to listen to the tables you listed and see for yourself so you know personally what its like. It's better for you to find out firsthand since we all have our own biases regarding personal gears.

regards,

Abe
Thanks for reply, is it correct to assume that all mentioned tables sound better than TD 124?
I started with a VPI TNT 3 fully tweaked/upgraded to the twin platters rim drive superplatter SDS that you can see on my system. Then I resurected my father's TD 124 MKII , I putted it in slate plinth/armbase and use the same Graham Phantom /Allaerts cartridge Purist Venustas and while the VPI sounds very good, I must objectively admit that the TD 124 is more musical and refined, it is my new reference now. A massive plinth is very important. Pics on my system/TD124
Amandarae: you have a very nice system. In your post it is not clear if you like better the Teres or TD 124, can you explain the sonic differences. How would you compare the TD 124 and the Garrard 301 ?
Thanks, Jean.
the td 124 is one of the 'coolest' tables ever. does it compete with later thorens models such as the 150,160b, 160 super, 520, 160hd, 350 and others...only if you 'think' it does. compared to most expensive and esoteric choices today..not really....but it is 'cooler'.
Thanks for reply, is it correct to assume that all mentioned tables sound better than TD 124?

He,he,he...to me, it's the other way around.

Comparable to 150,160b, 160 etc? Please! Smoking too much of your username lately? But if you do not own one, or if you own one and it's not quiet and you do not know what needs to be done, then you would not have a clue. Besides, for me, I believe that "the only way to move forward in audio, is to move backward" and believe that everything was figured out in audio during the 50's and 60's already. If you believe that VPI is the answer, then I am happy for you.

Amandarae: you have a very nice system. In your post it is not clear if you like better the Teres or TD 124, can you explain the sonic differences. How would you compare the TD 124 and the Garrard 301 ?
Thanks, Jean.

Hello Jean,

Thanks for the kind words. To me, the TD124 and the Teres are two different sounding machine. In order to contrast them from each other, the Garrard 301 has to come in the picture.

I am happy with the Teres table since 2003. Steve, from Analog Department, hit it perfectly when he answered what's special about the Teres table. He describe its sound as " When I want to get max detail, air and to flesh out all the textures from massed strings, etc.".

The Garard in my observation, is in the outer extreme of this with dynamic slam that is "uncomparable" per se compared only to other tables I heard. When shear dynamics is the order of the day, the Garrard 301 is tailored for it without the expense of losing focus, detail, and warmt. Again, for me, the TD 124 is in between the Teres and the Garrard. It has a little less bass impact IMO to the Garrard and the detail is a little less than the Teres. But I will never know this until I compared them side by side. In retrospect, all I can say is that the TD 124 has that relax musicality but not short of dynamic impact.

My own observations only of course.

regards,

Abe
Now the discussion gets really interesting :)

So to sum up: TD 124 is dynamic and relax musicality tt, as compared to new ones. Any new tt which comes close on these virtues?

The rest areas are loss for TD 124, however, nobody is sure that there is really a loss..Any areas where Thor cannot perform to the level of modern tts?

And still - my initial question - in what area/price range Thorens 124 would fit as a competitor?
Building and marketing a new turntable with all the virtues of a TD 124 would be extremely expensive. Think of it:4 speeds, 220/110V 50/60 Hz inboard commutator,switchable cluch upper platter, build in 4 speeds lighted strobe, precise speed variator, removable armboard, hybrid idler wheel drive, high mass platter, build on high precision standards like a tank, and still in use and rivals the best after more than 50 years.
A read of the book "Swiss Precision, the story of TD 124" and the series of articles written by Art Dudley in Stereophile will suffice to convince you.
Jean
I will compare my TD 124 with slate plinth with my friend T.W. Acustic Raven 3 motors with same tonearm/cartridge next week and will report this if you are interested.
Best, Jean.
Hi Jean,

Nice summary. Yep, if you build the TD 124 today, I am sure that the cost per unit retail will be prohibitive. Some people does not understand that, instead they dismiss the table because it was built many years ago. Some people make comments without even owning the table. So sad!

I have the Swiss Precision..." book from Joachim Bung. I too will recommend it. You will fully appreciate the value of the TD124 once you finish reading this book.

regards,

Abe