Thorens 124/125/126 vs Rega P3/MMF-5

It looks like 40~30 years old Thorens 124/125/126 models are still very popular. How are they compared to today's most popular models at under $1000, like P3 and MMF-5?
128x128ihcho

Showing 3 responses by pauly

Hi Ihcho

I owned Thorens 124, 125, 150 and 160’s. Of all, the 125 was best, the 124 was the worst. None of them can compare to a well set-up HW-19, not even close.

Antique turntables is very much a niche thing, and I am sure a very enjoyable pastime to some. Personally to me it is about music and not tinkering around with a TT, and I have not heard any produce music with the level of realism to capture my interest.

Regards
Paul
Hi Johnnantais.

Yes I know – I just don't know how to set them up. I have the same problem with CD players. I just don't know how to play them CD's right. Whatever dude.

I don't begrudge your hobby, I think it is cool that folks resurrect old tables. But I guess since my ear is trained from live opera and live recitals, and not battery powered transistor radios, rumble wheels ... er sorry, idler wheels don't really work for me.

Regards
Paul
02-22-07: Cmo "BTW Did you perhaps buy my old HW19??? Maybe you should try an Aries"

Yeah, I remember that well. I bought it off you the same time you dug that Garrard out the dumpster ...