This sucks

I just liquidated my old system [http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vstrt&1125889203&view] and replaced it with the follwing: Marantz SA8260 (on Mapleshade Surefoot), to Purist Audio Maximus ICs, to Cary 300SEI (on Mapleshade Heavyfoot with PS Audio Lab I PC and Sophia 300b) to Blue Dragon headphone cable to Senn HD650. There is NO bottom end and the whole soundstage sounds smeared and just overall horrible. What the hell was I thinking?? Is there a link in my current chain that might be causing this?? Is this the best I can expect from my headphone system?
pawlowski6132

Showing 5 responses by pawlowski6132

Thanx everyone for your excellent insights and sage advice.

First of all, what I neglected to to explain initially was that I sold my system because it simply was too large for my room (13x11x7) which I was forced into AFTER I assembled the system. I just could not treat the room effectively. So, I took that situation as a cue to also experience the SET sound I coveted for so long. I listen to primarily acoustic music (Jazz, Classical, Blue Grass, etc.)

What became painfully apparent, as many of you pointed out, is that I should have adjusted my expectations accordingly. It's clear now that I won't have the wind knocked out of me or experience any three dimensional aural effects - for now anyway. And I was pretty dissapointed while that realization was setting in.

However, last night I settled in for a long night of listening (and a nice Shiraz). The third CD I popped in was the Stan Getz/Joao Gilberto recording of all those wonderful Jobim songs. Rather than the usual dejected sigh, my ears perked up! By the third track I had heard an ambience of the recording, texture in the voices and details in the drums that I don't recall EVER hearing. Very exciting. I scrambled through my CD collection...

As you might guess, my initial dismay distracted me from the resolution and timbre definition which was lacking in my original system.

So, in conclusion, I still miss my bass and am resolved to ultimtely finding a set of speakers. I'm intrigued by the Cain & Cain Abby's. does anyone have any experience with these and the Cary 300SEI - in a small room!! How 'bout a pair of monitors??
Herman, that's too funny. That happened to me last night. I had my eyes closed and "felt" a presence. I opened my eyes and my stupid dog was in my face staring at me!
Robm321. Yes, money was an issue too. I bought some of my system on credit counting on a source of future income that will not materialize. I hate being in debt so...

Now I realize that I will need to save for a pair of highly sensitive speakers for my little room.