This Sounds Like A Pretty Good Deal -- Opinions?

Fellow music lovers,

I have the chance to purchase a McIntosh MC-225 that has already been gone over by a pro and been refurbished along with a McIntosh C11 that has undergone the same loving treatment.  I can purchase both for a total of $3,500 or just the MC-225 for $1,800.  Basically getting a deal from a good friend of a good friend.  I already have an ARC SL-17 I was going to use as the Preamp, but he is making it very hard not to take both pieces.  The MC-225 and C-11 are currently hooked up together in one of his vintage systems.

I guess I'm looking for validation and help at spending my money, LOL.  Is it a no-brainer to buy both pieces?  Does anyone have any experience with an MC-225 paired with a C-11 or an ARC SP-17?  Which had best synergy together?  These pieces would be pushing a 1987 pair of Klipsch Forte's with the Crites Crossover upgrades, and most likely only have a turntable with phono preamp and a streaming unit connected.  Turntable and phono preamp to be determined -- streaming device is a Bluesound Node.

Thank you for your input.

allenf1963

I don't have any experience with those particular units, but I did have a McIntosh 275 once and I loved every second of the time it was in my house.  I'd say if you can live with the power output of 25W stereo, 50W mono, I would jump on it.  Remember your speakers dictate the power draw, but you can always add a subwoofer and trim maybe 70 to 80% of your power requirements from the McIntosh.

Sound like a good deal to me.  ARC is good stuff but McIntosh has "The Class Act".

Absolute steal for that piece if even in descent condition. Zero risk there. Looking at Hifi Shark nice examples of this amp are asking 3X or more what you can get this one for. Same thing with the preamp.