Thinking of modding my 834p, or should I move on?

I have an 834p deluxe and it needs a small repair. The cost of the repair isn't that much off of having some additional modifications performed, and once the board is desoldered, I was thinking...I may as well go whole hog! However, I am wondering if investing nearly 1k in modifications is really cost effective. I use a Koetsu Black and am thinking of moving up the Koetsu line and/or buying a Grado Statement Statement. I've read quite a few times that the 834p transformers are not that great. The Deluxe sells for around 900-1000 used, so for 2k I could perhaps buy the EAR 324 used or look at something else, unless at even 2k, the moddified 834p would be a solid investment. I like the sound, but I admit I don't have much experience with phono stages at all, and this is the only tubed one I have experience with.

Any input would be welcomed.
zanth

Showing 1 response by artmaltman

I owned a stock 834p and a heavily modified one and compared them in detail. The heavily modified one was an order of magnitude better, and comparable in overall pleasure to my $2000 phono preamp. However my modded 834p was more euphonic than other preamps - pleasing to my ear and a nice complement to the slightly lean fast Van Den Hull Frog. ALSO, swapping in Mullard CV4004's was a revelation.

When I've compared this modded unit to solid state pieces under $1000 (e.g. phenonona (spelling?), it simply embarassed them.

I guess if you can do it yourself that would be fun, if you have the time and patience.

Art