Thinking about a new, lower end CD Player

My current CD player is a basic, older Sony, probably 10-12 years old. Works fine but I could use it in another location with a lower end system. It seems to sound about as good as my Arcam CD92 that lost its DAC a while back.

So now thinking about buying a new CDP and have a couple of questions.

I’d like to keep this in the $300-500 range for units with internal DAC. Not looking for SACD player. Other than a remote, not looking for special features or multi disk players.

I’m guessing that in this price range SQ is probably comparable to other units in that range.

First, is a CDP in this price range going to sound any better than the old Sony?
Second, if not, is there any reason not to just buy a comparable $200 unit?
Third, for units in this price range ($300-500) is there any reason to look for one with balanced output capability and if so, is there any way to know if it is truly balanced.

Thanks all,

George

n80
Good things come in small packages. No power cords, no interconnects, no f@#$& up house AC, no fuses, no speaker cables. And none of the distortion those things bring to the table. No real estate Issues or room acoustics crap to deal with, either. And the money you save on all of that crap you can spend on beer 🍺 

Big things have small beginnings.
Not quite what I would buy but whatever floats your boat 2psyop!

Plenty of real Walkman and Panasonic CD portables on eBay at well under $26.
Of course it should be pointed out that these little Walkman dudes do need a little help to sound their best. Otherwise they tend to sound kind of generic. But they can achieve a surprisingly high level if you put a little effort into it. So there are a number of things I do. The very first thing I do is...
Got the Arcam home this afternoon and it sounds fine to me through the Schiit Modi 2 Uber. Can't really tell the difference between it and the Sony....and never could tell a big difference between the Sony and the Arcam when it was fully functional either. The original problem with the Sony is back and I consider it trash at this point.

Net result: 1. Arcam as transport via Schiit in hi-fi system. 2. No CDP for low end system at the cabin.

Game plan now: Keep Arcam as transport for hi-fi. Consider upgrading the Modi 2 Uber to a Multibit or BiFrost (or other comparable DAC) at some point since that will, presumably, yield SQ benefits for my music server (iMac) and streaming as well.

Skip CDP for cabin for now and just play off iPhone or laptop there. Pick up a cheap CDP if the opportunity arises. 
Well I guess it all depends on what you decide is your budget for a cheap cdp.
At any given time there are literally hundreds of good 80,s and 90,s cdp on eBay going for relative peanuts.

I still have and use an old Samsung bluray player in a bedroom system just taking the optical output so using as a transport.

And it sounds better than it has any right to for the grand sum of $21 shipped a few years back!