Thinking about a new, lower end CD Player

My current CD player is a basic, older Sony, probably 10-12 years old. Works fine but I could use it in another location with a lower end system. It seems to sound about as good as my Arcam CD92 that lost its DAC a while back.

So now thinking about buying a new CDP and have a couple of questions.

I’d like to keep this in the $300-500 range for units with internal DAC. Not looking for SACD player. Other than a remote, not looking for special features or multi disk players.

I’m guessing that in this price range SQ is probably comparable to other units in that range.

First, is a CDP in this price range going to sound any better than the old Sony?
Second, if not, is there any reason not to just buy a comparable $200 unit?
Third, for units in this price range ($300-500) is there any reason to look for one with balanced output capability and if so, is there any way to know if it is truly balanced.

Thanks all,

George

n80
Durability-wise, I doubt you will get a different transport between those, and that is what breaks (along with laser) so it should not be much different. Maybe once you go into some much higher price-ranges and even then who knows. I forgot the number, but there are only so many makers of CD transports. Some years ago even Philips exited and they were the staple among many brands. Some brands make their own but I doubt those are $300-500-700 players.

Soundwise, check specs and what DAC chip they use. for the biggest difference. Remainder seems to be smaller increments. Maybe, once you see the pattern in DACs and price, you could even pick the cheapest one with that better DAC.

I feel that more expensive models, even in your price range, may feel to be better built. Sturdier. I am sure it is supposed to be better for sound but have no real idea.

Or, why change the team that is winning? There is one just like yours on eBay.

And then, of course, you can always buy a $300 player, add a $225 fuse and end up with a $15 000 player sound. At least that is what the rumor is.
What does a $1000 Rega do for me that the $300 NAD won't? Not challenging your opinion, just trying to understand. Is it the DAC? The transport? The power source? All of the above? It does not appear to have balanced output either.

If it is all that. And if there is a real difference to be heard I might go that route or a similar route.
Read a very complementary review on the Rega Apollo but also noted that it has a Sanyo transport. I guess a lot of them do.
The only CD players I know in that price range with balanced are professional players like tascam or denon that also record . I believe Emotiva? might make one around $600 with balanced. Is there a reason you need balanced?