Thinking about a digital media player. No streaming. But there's a problem...

I'd like to get a digital media player for my listening room.  I don't really care about streaming or network capabilities.  I basically just want a unit where I can connect it to my pre-amp, attach a hard drive with all of my music files, and go.

The thing is, though, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be.  So, I think I need either a unit with (1) a screen large enough to see from my listening chair about eight feet away or (2) some sort of remote with a screen I can use to browse with.

I *don't* want to use a tablet/phone for controlling the digital media player if at all possible.  I just have nightmares about performing an IOS/Android update one day and finding out that the tablet no longer works with unit.

Any suggestions?
des_esseintes
The original Auralic Altair has a remote and a good display visible from 8ft.  Built in DAC too if you need it.  You can connect it to an external DAC.

The Aurender A10 has a remote, built in 4TB SSD, an internal DAC, and a good display.  You can connect it to an external DAC.
Just a question -- why is a tablet a no-go but a remote with a screen is OK?
Just a question -- why is a tablet a no-go but a remote with a screen is OK?

Tablets have a battery which will invariably wear out and may not be easy to replace.  A high-quality wired remote could easily last 20 years.