Thiel Tweeter issue

I have a set of used Thiel CS1.2's I recently bought cheap. Of course they were a little dirty, but at low levels sound great! At higher levels though, the tweeter sound harsh, and has got progressively worse. I am having an issue finding a 25TAC/GW-TH H420 60hm 26/90 tweeter replacement. Anyone know a solution? I would be willing to change both tweeters to match, if a different tweeter would be an improvement over the original. Any help would be great! thanks.
128x128oak244

Showing 6 responses by oak244

Thanks all, I will know better by next week I am sure. I did contact Thiel Friday night, so I hope to hear from them this week.

The tweeter seems to be damaged. at first I thought the woofer was torn or blown, but as it got worse over time, I was able to pinpoint its the tweeter. It has a harsh kind of buzzing/scratchy sound to it.

With metal I don't hear it much, but when I play Damien Rice, Angus and Julia Stone, ect.. I notice it enough, I change to my PSB speakers when playing that music.

Right now, they are just being played downstairs on a Yamaha Receiver and Denon cd player.
I heard from Thiel, I can get the tweeter rebuilt for $120.00. This problem came when I bought these. I only paid $100 for the pair, and I thought it was the woofer. So the way I see it, even if I spend $120 for the rebuild, I only have $220 in the pair invested.
I am listening to these speakers again right now and hear a rattling sound again in one speaker.  Not sure its the same Tweeter that got fixed, or the other one, as the speakers have been moved around.  Not sure I want to spend another $120 to rebuild again.  
Ahh just took the covers off and its not the tweeter.  The rubber surround has come unglued from the cone and its flapping making the noise. 
I have the CS 1.2's.  I asked Madisound about some replacement speakers and they recommended the  SB Acoustics SB17MFC35-4.

I run a pair of SB Acoustic SB17NRXS35-4 in the front of my Civic and LOVE them!  They say my 4ohm speaker is 170mm and these SB's are 4 ohm 171mm, so it should fit.

The other option is to get the original speaker repaired.

Honestly though based on my cars speakers I am almost willing to try it out.
My Car is a Coupe, so I only have 2 doors.  The stock speakers still run in the back But not real loud, I have always been a fan of front stage.