Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

zkga

Nice catch! I hope that these 2.4 speakers find the next good home.

Happy Listening!

That could very well be the Canadian price of the CS2.4. In the USA, Thiel acted as its own distributor, managing marketing, promotion, retailers, reviewers, service, etc. We attributed about 25% of our sell price to those functions. In foreign markets (Canada is actually foreign, eh) a third party distributor supplies those functions. Even though we discounted export sales, distributors generally added more cost than we did, partly because their warranty services cost more than our in-house support. And the Canadian dollar sometimes fell considerably below the US dollar which was reflected in variable sell prices at different times. Canada was a good market for Thiel.

tomthiel

Agreed. $8900- is pretty close to the Canada price. I hope that you are well this day.

Did you find a new Space for Hot Rod Garage ?

Happy Listening!

JA - Thanks for asking, and I suspect an update is in order. I would characterize the present state of the HotRod Garage as ’distributed’. I have found suitable workspaces around the village with some being more suitable in warm than cold weather, and for different purposes. These developments represent real progress.

My work is expanding my knowledge / solutions beyond classic Thiel implementations. There were many areas of subtlety that were simply beyond consideration in a company whose vision was to bring outstanding performance at the most affordable price. I am developing and evaluating advances that would not have fit that classic Thiel paradigm. But cost-effectiveness is still of central concern. One could spend as much on a few caps as we spent on an entire speaker system.

As you know, I began experimentation on my CS2.2s because I had them. I have expanded that stable to 13 models (including subwoofers) with more lined up. As I’ve mentioned, I’ve been focusing on the 02, which has been quite a trip because nearly nothing in that product is identifiably ’Thielesque’. Any change I make, such as stranded to solid wire, makes it sound more identifiably ’Thiel’. The workhorses or any model have served as sandboxes for trial and error. The survivor outcomes of the trials are applicable to all models. And there’s a good, solid list of techniques and technologies.

This winter we’ve entered the realm of actual, presentable product development. The backbone platform is the SCS4 - fifth generation of the 02 portable 6.5" two-way. The SCS4 embodies virtually all signature developments from 1976 up its 2007 release. However, it still contains much room for improvement, some at very little cost. The driver and its control circuitry stay; much else gets attention, some of which might later require slight XO re-tweaking. Interested parties might put a pair of SCS4s on their radar.

As a blast from the past, I am expecting a pair of original 01s - first iteration. As an example of Jim’s instincts it shines a light on his innate values, much like a recording artist’s first album illuminates their inherent nature. Virtually nothing of the 01 survived the arc of his career, but the instincts did motivate all further work. As one example, Jim held high sensitivity / efficiency in high regard and employed minimal crossover circuitry in service to that goal. As he sought further refinement his crossovers became famously (infamously ?) complex, and system efficiency suffered. In his later work, as he was able to engineer his proprietary drivers toward greater linearity, as well as break ground with lighter moving mass and stronger magnetics, the speakers became considerably more efficient while achieving outstanding linearity. Anyhow, I will relish examining, measuring and listening to a pair of the first generation 01s, designed in the farmhouse with slide-rule and rented oscilloscope, and built in the garage with finish sprayed on the back porch. The product was unique enough to garner (first year CES) distribution in Germany, then other European success, which raised some eyebrows in the USA.

I would like to thank you and everyone on this forum and especially those of you who have joined as collaborators in these explorations. A final note is that after a year (more or less, I’ve lost track) the ClarityCaps along with the new Purity samples are scheduled to ship March 2 from Wales. Patience is a virtue. Satisfaction is more fun.

@tomthiel 

Where you working to somehow make the Thiel 02 time/phase coherent, or are you keeping the basic original design?

Also, sometimes I wonder what modded 2.7s would sound like.  Any idea what one would do to "upgrade" those?  I always think about a more solid-re-enforced front baffle...and I don't know...better caps?