Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
tomthiel

et al., Over the years, I have noticed CS 2.4 and CS 2.4SE loudspeaker reviews disappearing from the net? Not that there were very many of each model published. Still, it is a strange occurrence?
I suspect other types of articles/reviews are deleted/removed as well.

Happy Listening!
Wow, I can't even let a week go by and this thread gains a couple more pages to catch up on...

I want to be the first (?) to agree with TonyWinga's 7/29/21 post of optimizing his CS6 that they parallel my experience with 2.3 and 2.4, and cover most of the basics for setting up any Thiels.

To TomThiel's 8/2 post that 2.4 XO production went to FST around SN 220-230 is at odds with my 2.4 SN 611-612 clearly having Lexington boards & parts as discussed here earlier -- unless you were referring specifically to 2.4SE?
sdecker - thanks for the input. My 220-230 estimate was from Rob’s memory. I’ll replace that estimate with your 611-12 old-style 2.4s.
Now, a thought about Lexington vs FST coils. It seems that one of the extenuating circumstances around taking XO production to FST was that our original coil wire became unavailable. As a reminder: we had "found" an aerospace communication wire in 1978 while developing the 03. It was 6-9s oxygen free, long crystal, slow drawn, polished wire. Its use in our coils was transformative. (Longer story embedded in this forum’s prior history.) Over the years, that wire was "degraded" to CDA101 (5-9s) with less stringent production values. Then CDA102 (4-9s), still a league above "normal" CDA110 electrolytic tough pitch magnet wire used in most applications and by most hi-fi manufacturers. ERSE tells me that in the mid-2000s those high conductivity, high purity wires became "unavailable" and were replaced by CDA110-special, which meets only the 99.9% / 3-9s spec, with special attention paid to extrusion, surface quality, etc.

Bottom line is that Lexington boards have at least CDA102, and older boards have CDA101 coils and they are wound to optimum aspect ratio, tensile pull and bonding formulation. These Lexington coils are world class. Coils on ’glass’ boards from FST are best presently available, CDA110 special, but certainly lesser than the Lex / Masonite board coils.
tomthiel

Thank You for the introspective view on model CS 2.4 loudspeaker.
Very interesting information on Lexington boards vs. Masonite boards.
We all are looking forward to upgraded XO options in the future.

Happy Listening!