Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
Ron - It's good to be here. This project wouldn't be  happening without you guys.

The 3.7 is perhaps at the end of the timeline, since it is a very well optimized design and not in danger of cap failure. Especially, the cabinet is pretty quiet, but not totally - gains could be made. However, the crossover can benefit from passive component improvements. By the time we get to 3.7s we'll know more than we do now.

In the WayBack Machine - Cabinets and their materials. The 01 and 02 were particle board, which is stiffer than MDF, but less well damped - and it doesn't like to be machined. MDF was a new material in the late 70s and we adopted it for consistency, damping and machinability. BUT the 03 and 03a remained multi-ply Finland Birch plywood which was superior in every way except the lack of predictability of its resonances. In the development of what became the CS3, I experimented with making curved plywood panels, which were magic. But we lacked the resources to develop and incorporate that solution into our products. CurvedPly became one of many "somedays" in the dream sequence. I smile that Thiel eventually came back to that solution and pulled it off very well.
Many thanks Tom and to all others who have graciously commented thus far!  I figured the 2.2 tweeters might be compatible matches for the 3.6s given the same manufacturing year (1993).  I've already been in a dialogue with Rob and he informed me that he could probably repair  them if necessary.  Currently mine are in good working order however, my 16 year old son and I kid around about NOT blowing the them; often referring to Jim Thiel who apparently was prone to blowing his on the 3.7s during shows in the day, lol.  Glad to be on board the forum guys.  I currently have my 3.6s powered by ARC DS 450Ms and loving the sound!  Just recently added Signal Magic power cords (replacing the stock cords) and found the center mid-band to have more presence as well as more pronouced bass and soundstage imaging.  Looking forward to more as they continue to burn in; so far about 100 hours or so. Eventually, I might look to refurbishing/upgrading the crossovers and I'm sure I'll have many questions for you all along the way. I'll keep you posted.
bumpin around on youtube, thought this might be of interest. Rob Gillum being interviewed. You don’t have to wonder if he's a believer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55tQUNsE7GA
tomthiel

Very interesting tidbits about Thiel cabinet designs and your thoughts about how to improve them.
As said by that very wise gentleman, Willie Wonka: “the suspense is terrible. I hope it will last.”
In the case of the 3.6 upgrades, only the first part of that quote applies — but I do appreciate all the work and planning that is involved. 
It sounds like the 3.6R rebuild will push my admittedly finite DIY skills to the limit! Can’t wait. 👍