Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
Dinopau - hiss and noise from one channel means there is something wrong. Swapping leads can isolate the problem to its source component. If the verdict is noise from the right speaker, the problem is probably failed electrolytic capacitors. They don't last forever, and at ~ 30 years, their life-span is expiring. Direct replacements can be bought from Madisound, etc. for short money.

tomthiel,

Thank you for the update/advise on noise.

Looking forward seeing you and Rob getting back to us with a positive outcome on midrange test. Any guesstimate on price? As for the tweeter, is this produced (Dynaudio D28AF, correct?)? if not what can be used without altering the crossover filter?

Lastly, if Rob still has my Bass eq (220V) and is gonna repairing one day, I am ALWAYS available to pay for the refurbishment.

Jafant,

Thank you for appreciating my gear....

@thielrules,  The 3.5's midrange is much sturdier than you might be suggesting. Thiel recommended (depending on model year) between 40 or 50 and 250 Watts per channel for the 3.5's. That's for an 8 Ohm amplifier. Into the Thiel 3.5's 4 Ohm load with a quality amp that can double down, that would be 500 Watts per channel. Jim Thiel even suggested that 300 Watts per channel (8 Ohm rating) might be appropriate in some cases.

I've been using a 250 Watt per channel amp capable of doubling down without incident for years with my Thiel 3.5's. Look at the magnet assembly on those midranges, they could embarrass some woofers.

The paper surrounds can need maintenance from time to time but,
 despite one of the posters here complaining about mids, I think the consensus would suggest that the 3.5's mids are amongst the most natural sounding of all.

I'd hazard a guess that Thiel received more damaged drivers due to under powered amps than from over powered ones. The  3.5's eq with it's 12 dB boost at 20 Hz can put additional demands on the amplification, though the impedance bump at the that very frequency range mitigates the extra power demands some what.

@dinopau, I haven't actually tried this, but you might be able to work around the Thiel 3.5's eq with a Roon Core, though I think you'll need one with an i7 processor chip in order to take advantage of the eq capabilities.

I'd strongly recommend taking tomthiels's recommendation to reverse the cable leads first, to rule out other considerations first.