Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
As alluded to above via driver size, air-coupling is a factor in the experience of bass authority. The 3.7 10" woofer has 50% greater area to drive its wave-front, reducing compressive non-linearities of air. Bigger makes cleaner. The 3.7 cabinet is also more inert and its baffle is less compressive for attack transient integrity. Regarding prof's thought about bass voicing, the 3.7 was Jim's work, the 2.7 incorporated various outside engineering input. Jim tuned his bass alignment to Q.707. Many designers give a little slop for "bloom, bigness, warmth", etc. I heard the two speakers at Thiel at finalization and heard the 2.7 bass as tuned a little looser. Most designers try to second-guess popularity, expectations and so forth. Jim was fairly immune to those ways.

Also note that image is highly dependent on cabinet and driver edge effects. Prof mentioned the driver part. The 3.7 cabinet design (love it or not) is very highly functional regarding diffraction, even though the 2.7 might qualify for world-class, it is not as good. 

A factor that contributes to "great bass" is that of articulation which, in a first-order design, includes the low end of the mid-range driver. Jim's 3.7 XO treatment is much more sophisticated and uses better parts than the 2.7 due to budget constraints and designer choices. The 2.7 midrange is fed through a 400uF electrolytic cap, albeit with a PP and styrene bypass in parallel. The 3.7 uses a bank of 75uF polypropylene caps with a styrene bypass. Multiple smaller PP caps provide faster reactions and less distortion than a large electrolytic.

Unsound, the 3.5 equalizer addresses only the bass with a simple, shaped boost centered at 22Hz or 40Hz depending on selection. Our reference set-up during development was bi-amped with identical amplifiers and 4 identical wire runs providing no EQ pollution into the midrange-tweeter circuit. (We were subsequently amazed by how many ways users could screw things up with varying amp and cable configurations working at cross purposes. So the bi-wiring option went away.) The EQ circuitry is elegant enough, but the budget required utilitarian execution (and use of generally inferior interconnects) adding some grain and haze to the signal. Jim considered the ported solution (O2, O4, CS2) to be inferior to sealed-box bass and only grudgingly accepted the market necessity of the passive radiator rather than the equalized bass in aspiring products. We aired the possibility of an EQ for the CS5 (the CS5 followed the equalized 3.5) and we talked about a follow-up super edition with an equalized bass. But Thiel was a one-man development lab experiencing high growth, and there was not time to explore such niceties.

One intriguing reincarnation for a CS5 Super would be to add balanced equalizers to the CS5 bass driving a separate bass input. That bass section has three  woofers in two configurations loaded by two sub-enclosures. All bass frequencies up to 500 or so are covered by that subsystem.     
@wayneuncle, do you know the year they were manufactured ?Otherwise you can send your serial number and finish to Rob Gillum and he will tell you.Price for the latest crossovers is $800/pair.
@wayneuncle    i am no expert on subs but have had really  good results with the REL s/5 SHO.  if you get a sub,  try to get the dealer to come and set it up
Happy Friday Thiel Lovers

I just recently found this forum as I've been a longtime member on Audiogon.  I've read through the many pages the last couple of days and it is so wonderful to see the love for Thiel, the knowledge from current owners and the effort to try and improve the product.

I fell in love with Thiel about 14 years ago when I auditioned the 2.4's at a local Audio shop.
I was blessed to be able to afford a pair before my wife and I had kids :)

I've owned my current setup for a little over 11 years which I love tremendously.

Thiel 2.4's, MCS1 and SS2 in Silver and 4- Powerplanes 1.2.

My family and I are truly  blessed to have the system that we have.
This system has brought my family so much joy listening to music or watching movies together.

Quite a few years back I heard a pair of 3.7's at the Thiel facility and ever since I've dreamed of owning a pair(second hand of course).

So my dilema is do I upgrade the 2.4's to 2.4SE's as I can get the upgrade kit from Rob and be content with my current system or do I sell the 2.4's and the SS2( hopefully to someone who loves Thiel and appreciates the quality) and get a pair of 3.7's?

Thanks for your time.  

cheers 

Tomthiel, thankyou for your prompt and illuminating response.

Were the 3.5's eq's developed and/or built in house or contracted out?

Your recollections and future considerations of the CS 5's is most interesting. Perhaps my favorite Thiel model. If it weren't for the associated amplifier demands, I'd probably own a pair.

I've wondered why Jim used three 8" drivers rather than say a some combination of progressively larger bass drivers, and why he chose such a low impedance?