Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

Showing 40 responses by fitter468

Hifi 28 I owned the 3.5s and moved on to the 3.6s in my opinion the 3.6s are better. They are both very good speakers but the 3.5 drivers are almost nonexistent as the 3.6s rob gillium can rebuild all the drivers. For that reason alone I would buy the 3.6s over the 3.5s.I had the 3.6s for 25 yrs trouble free and moved on to the cs 7s last yr. hope this helps David 

Just picked up a krell fpb 600c to power my cs7s what an amazing amp! I hear detail and have clarity like I’ve never heard before.happy holidays 

Just received a pair of powerplane 1.0s that I bought on eBay that I’m planning on using for my rears so I disconnected my cs7s (as I don’t have a 3 channel amp yet for my center and rears) and tried them out on the floor  I’m was amazed as how good they sound!! I Listened to them for about 10 mins they really filled the room disconnected them and hooked up my 7s I could really tell that my Bryston 4nrb does not have enough oomph for the 7s! Oh how I wish audio consultants was still around! Do any of the Chicago area guys know if Scott or any of the other salesmen wound up at different hifi shops in the area? David 
@jazzman7  thanks for the reply I will have to make a trip there when things settle down
This thread keeps getting better and better! Tom thiel I enjoy reading all your posts! I have owned my 3.6s since 1992/93 that I purchased new I would be interested in an upgrade probably inboard  but would consider outboard unless I find a pair of cs 5is Thanks David
Thanks Jafant I’m using a bryston 4nrb with a proceed avp with mit cables before the avp I had a rotel pre amp then I went to a forte f44 with each progression the sound got better the dream someday is to go to a pair of cs5is with an avp2. I usually listen to rock. Thanks  to everyone on here for all the good info.
Jafant keep me posted after you audition the cubed amps ive heard good things about them. I would love to know what you think of them vs the st series. I’ve always wanted to listen to ayre,pass and krell as well to see how they match up with Thiel. 
I  agree with Tom about audio consultants I purchased my 3.5s from them and traded them in for the 3.6s I have owned since 92/93. They are a very reputable dealer and definitely know what they are doing! 
My 3.6s are 1001 and 1002 I’ve found a few articles online about heat causing problems with the xos I haven’t experienced any problems with my speakers but after learning I have the first gen 3.6s and there were 2 revisions after that I’m thinking Tom’s hot rod upgrade could be a game changer! Tom keep sharing Thiel history and inside info I enjoy reading all your posts!!
Can you imagine if they would have taken  the cs5 and did the improvements tom talked about removing the bucket brigade resistors, up shimming the woofers and setting them up for bi amping! Using the new speaker material technology! How would that Have been for a flagship model ! Oh What could have been!
Tom I love reading the back stories keep them coming!!! Glad you’re on this forum!! David
Happy birthday Tom Thiel!  Thanks for posting some of the equipment used in lex! Makes me want to get a krell fpb amp 
I have owned my 3.6s for almost 27 yrs  I paid $3900 for them the  build quality is second to none imho I use a Bryston amp which I feel is good not great my speakers still sound fantastic!! One day I hoping to get a pair of cs5is or 7.2s (still hesitant because I love my 3.6s) which I know will require a high end amp  when people listen to my stereo who aren’t into hifi they ask what are those sounds ie a guitar string vibrating or a vocalist taking a breath other sounds people on this forum clearly are aware of because  they have never heard anything so clear and detailed !!! Call me ignorant but I have no desire to hear / own any other speakers ! I feel they are so good they exploit everything in front of them ! What’s the saying Tom Thiel? FOR THE LOVE OF MUSIC!!
Desper thank you for your thoughts on the cs5 and 3.6s . I have always wanted the cs5s  however after reading up on the 7.2s and reading comments, about potential part availability on the 5s and how rob virtually  has no issues on the 7.2s and them being” ‘newer”makes me wonder which direction I’m going to go. Add in a hot rod kit for the 3.6  decisions decisions!!! Tom I also have a Mcs1 that I use for a center channel that I would be interested in upgrading the crossover. 

Tom I appreciate the back story on the cs 5 ironically As you know they used a concrete baffle on the cs7 so Jim must have realized that the direction you wanted to go with the baffles back then was the superior way to go. 
Ronkent thanks for posting that a very interesting read! Thankfully we still have Tom and rob!
I drank the kool-aid too!! Back in the early
90s it’s delicious!!!! Have 3.6s which I love trying to upgrade to cs5i or 7.2s!!
Tom FWIW I emailed rob a few months back asking about driver / parts availability for the cs5 and 7.2 as I want to get a pair of them rob said both are excellent speakers and that he has parts for both possibly a little longer for the 7.2s 
Sad to hear audio consultants is closing all my gear including my 3.6s were bought there.I cant say enough good things about my dealings with them!
Just purchased a pair of cs 7s today from Andy at Saturday  audio exchange bringing  them home tomorrow!! Traded in my beloved 3.6s that I had for 27 yrs  can't wait to get some listening time 
I just purchased cs 7s I am very happy with them and they are a big improvement over my 3.6s I had.  that being said my bryston 4b is not able to make them  sing like it did with the 3.6s while I’m sure the 7.2s are better for me I couldn’t justify the difference in price And would rather use the money towards a bigger and better amp.  
Tom that’s great to hear about cs7s please elaborate more on your impressions of the 7s vs the 7.2s and any other info you may have learned on your trip.
1977 o1 1978 03. 1980 O3A. 1983 cs3. 1986 cs3.5. 1989 cs5. 1991 cs2 2.  1992 cs 3.6.  1993 cs 1.5. 1994 cs7. 1996 cs 6 scs2.  1997 cs 2.3. 1998 cs 7.2. Hope that helps this came straight from a thiel brochure. 
Gs I owned a pair of 3.6s that I purchased new  in dec 92 I loved them!! last month I bought a pair of cs 7s (not the 7.2s) all I can tell you is if you can get a pair you won't be disappointed!!! They are like the 3.6s but  even better more detail more bass I hear things I never heard Before!!! They do exploit my equipment  upfront!! Just a thought FWI  
Gs5556  I owned 3.6s for 27 yrs I purchased cs7s last October my has a hairline crack by the woofer. When I contacted rob Gillum it didn’t seem like an issue. FWIW I use a Bryston 4 b which did a great job of driving the 3.6s but is now on the weak side of driving the 7s.ive never heard the 7.2s but the 7s are definitely an upgrade over the 3.6s!I can’t wait to get a bigger amp I feel they expose your equipment upstream and are going to get better as I upgrade my equipment! I agree with Tom as far contacting Rob just to make sure.
Jafant this is a great thread! Glad you started it!! So happy Tom Thiel is actively involved and posting!! I’m going to post a follow up to my cs7s I bought in early November after having 3.6s that I bought new in dec of 92 I haven’t changed any equipment or cables the cs 7s are better to my ears than the 3.6s in every way (And I’m a big 3.6 fan!!) the bass is deeper  and more realistic, the mids and highs are very detailed the imaging is superb.This is with a cheap pioneer CD player through a proceed avp1 dac I can’t imagine what they will sound like when I get better equipment.The one thing I did notice is my bryston 4 nrb although sounds good and plays at a decent volume level isn’t able to make them play as loud as it did when I had my 3.6s you definitely need a big amp! Anyone contemplating the cs 7s don’t hesitate getting a pair, especially at the prices they are going for! David 
Tom I wonder what they would  sound like incorporating your ideas of up shimming  the woofers bi amping and incorporating the new wavy drivers from the 3.7s!! Add some cabinet and grill  tweaks your learning  from the hot rod garage and upgrade the remaining  caps!!! Wow could you imagine???

I didn’t realize the 3.7s  had that many parts made in China. Thanks for posting the link yyz
Yyz. Great video thanks for posting the link ! I never thought about all the handling and changes to make the cabinets!! Tom thiel do you think  “an auto assembly line style “ would have been feasible and more productive building speakers ?? Or does space and costs out weigh the advantages??  David 
Tom thanks for the response! I’m glad they filmed it I wish there was more. No doubt alot of care and expertise went in to building them. David 

Unsound
well said!  I feel like my amp just doesn’t have the muscle anymore where I felt it drove the 3.6s. I agree the cs7 is an incredible speaker. Thoft read back to some of Tom Thiel’s impressions. He heard them a/b comparison to the 7.2s at coherent source.  I can tell you this they will clearly show you what you have in the front end of your system. Unsound brings up a good point about room size. 
Thoft. Yes they are harder to drive I went from the 3.6s (25 yrs) to the cs7s. I don’t regret it but I need to upgrade my Bryston 4B amp now. They are in another league from the 3.6s IMO 
I emailed rob last week he emailed me back today. Maybe it didn’t go through to him??Idk 
I just added goertz mi 2 speaker cables to my system after using monster cable for the last 25 yrs.I was pleasantly surprised with the difference I can hear subtle details that I didn’t hear before I bought resistors and capacitors and made my own zobel networks which I jumped on the speaker side I had my 16 yr old son and his cousin do an A/B comparison test same song,volume, and listening position and they also agreed it sounded better 

Tom I bought the Belsen 1800 F  XLR.  I’m using them from the ayre cx7 CD player on the analog side to the back of my proceed  avp. My only other experience is with mit pc squared xlr from my avp to my krell fpb amp and rca from my tuner to the avp. But I really feel the blue jeans cable are a great value and nicely madeI know someone on this thread is a big believer of those  cables.I was using a pioneer CD player to the internal dac of the proceed avp now I’m using the ayre dac the sound is amazing!! Ayre prefers you call them over email they are the type of company whose products I want to own.For the first time I feel like my system is “There” !! Or almost there!!! David 

Tom Thiel love the Thiel stories. I just purchased an ayre cx7emp CD player  it sounds amazing ! I talked to ayre before I purchased the unit they are fantastic people to talk to, which solidified my decision to purchase it . Also purchased blue Jean xlr cables very happy with those as well.

Thoft I upgraded from 3.6 to cs 7 a few years ago I’m in the Chicagoland area they fit in my minivan.fwiw  I previously had a Bryston 4nrb for the 3.6s which was fine (but underpowered for the cs 7) so I upgraded to  a krell fpb 600 which was a major upgrade. I also just added a ayre cx7emp cd player (which I love)  In my opinion the cs 7 is better in every way than the 3.6 ( which I was the original owner for 25 yrs) but demands higher quality components but also rewards you when doing so. My room is 14x35 with 8 foot ceiling sloped up to 14 feet. Just my 2 cents.  David