Thiel CS2.4 to what?

I'm getting the itch to upgrade my speakers (Thiel CS2.4). Nothing really wrong with them, they image like crazy, is like a clear window into the music, but I sometimes feel they are a bit too "reserved" and missing the joie de vivre. Looking for something that instills more life.

Rest of the system is PS Audio DirectStream Dac driving a pair of Bel Canto Ref500M. Front end includes a PS Audio PerfectStream Transport, a Auralic Aries streamer, Clearaudio turntable with PS Audio NuWave phono. All cables are Cardas.

My room is a semi-dedicated room (sharing it with my office, which is in an alcove off the listening room). I do have a sloped ceiling on the front wall (it's a finished attic), about 16' wide and 14' deep. Some acoustic panels to tame reflections.

Budget would be in the range of $4-6000 above what I can get for the Thiels (thinking about $2k as they are in awesome condition and has the upgraded maple finish). Basically, what would you recommend that is similar to the Thiel, but has more dynamics and a bit less sterile.
128x128audiojan
@prof, Audio Physic can be wooly unless you give them lots of space and an amp that can control them. I would actually argue that the Avanti 3's are just as magical as the Virgo 2, but just more of everything (better highs, deeper soundstage, deeper bass and more than anything else faster bass) and will completely disappear. I can speak from personal experience as we brought my buddies Virgo 2's over to compare them.

I've heard some of the newer AP models and although they're great, they definitely do lack the magic of the old ones. It's really like a different company after Joachim Gerhardt left.

audiojan,

Yes I hear you on that.   I heard the Virgo 2s in quite a few rooms, with various gear, including mine in which I could have lots of space to play with.  I tried with tube amps, and powerful Bryston amps.  Never truly got rid of the wooliness.  Fremer also said that of that speaker at some point as well. 

Loved the upper mids.  As I remember the Virgo 2s had a metal dome tweeter.  I think it added a very attractive bit of "shine/shimmer" to the upper frequencies which, married with the warm tone of the mids, made for a very seductive sound.  AP moved to soft dome after that I believe.
Changed the sound a bit, but the designs also got more coherent sounding.  The Audio Physic Libra I had were sort of the next step for the Virgo in a way - more coherent, punchier better defined bass, soft dome tweeter.  Very, very "organic and woody" sounding, in a good way.

The side firing woofers were supposed to make bass more even, but actually I think I found AP speakers could be a bit more challenging to set up because of them.  But when set up right, I love the AP speakers bass particularly for classical music.  There is a sort of "spread" of bass that seems to spread out around the room, especially for a swelling symphonic passage, that really reminded me of the real thing.

The Audio Physic Scorpios I had were a post-Joachim Gerhard design, though still maintained a lot of the AP sound.  They disappeared insanely well, were the most controlled, dense and punchy top to bottom of any AP speaker I've had, but they just lacked that last bit of magic tone from the Joachim Gerhard era, so I sold them and moved on.

I remember being pretty stunned by the original Avanti design, especially the Avanti Century.  But they used different drivers (metal) and went to soft dome tweeters and...I think maybe paper for the midrange.  The Avantis and Virgos after that had a really nice warm, airy sound, a bit softer than previous models actually, a bit more polite.   

The latest Avanti model sounds more neutral, does the disappearing/detail stuff really well and is one of my favorite looking speakers on the market.  Just incredibly beautiful cabinetry with the glass coating.  Didn't *quite* have the AP warmth that originally attracted me to the brand. 

Anyway, it is interesting to me that you moved from Thiel to Audio Physic, as Audio Physic is one of the few brands I could imagine moving on from Thiel to.

You might borrow a Pass X.8 series amp.  I purchased an X150.8 recently to run on my 2.4s.  Its far warmer and has huge power reserves for the Thiels than the Aesthetix Atlas i was using prior.  I've also used Bel Canto however, which is normally a good solution for Thiels as you may know.  The Pass x series really fleshes out the 2.4s like nothing else.  

audiojan

A nice thread with valuable information therein.  Happy Listening!