thiel 3.7 owners

Almost sold my 3.7s being impatient  with the break in time and sound memory!I had a pair of 802 nautilus for awhile,thought they where something until I heard a pair of 2.4s.Sold the 802s for 2.4s.Loved them until got the chance to buy 3.7 .Out of the box they sounded horrible,thought I made the biggest mistake ever!thought I remembered better bass with both 802 and 2.4?Wasnt till I was at Magnolia  2 years later and heard a new pair of 802s and was not impressed!I was getting better sound from 3.7s and just just imagining that both my old speakers sounded better than  what I have now!Ive been chasing ghosts.Now I'm happier with my Thiels,and I'm glad I didn't sell them to start the whole process again!what I thought was better wasn't better at all!Sometimes memories aren't reality!
corvette01

Showing 1 response by jon_5912

I went from the N802s directly to Thiel 3.7s back in 2012.  I thought the Thiels were better across the board.  They have less bass but the quality is unquestionably superior.  The midrange was clearer.  I definitely heard/understood things through the Thiels that I never had through the B&Ws.  The highs were better too.  The B&W tweeter, while very good, had an unmistakable peak that made them hard to listen to in certain recordings and covered up some detail.  The Thiels were much less colored.  Really an open window.  Every time I listen to them I can't imagine ever being dissatisfied and wanting more. 

I was surprised by this experience.  I had the B&Ws for 6 years and I had the 804s for a couple of years before that.  I figured since it was such a big company they'd be able to build better stuff than a company that was basically one guy.  I was wrong.  Speaker building is a black art I guess and the instincts and skills Jim Thiel built up over decades allowed him to build better products than a huge company with a far greater research budget, better facilities, etc.