Theta Miles owners: Using preamp or direct?

Anyone using a Theta Miles cd player? If so, are you using a preamp, or direct via analog volume? I have about $550 max to spend on a power source and I'm trying to figure out if I can get the best sound using the Miles direct into an amp, or would it sound better using a preamp? If going the preamo route, I'm thinking of integrated amps. Anyone have any opinions on the Acurus DIA100? If amp direct, I have a AR Multi 2 I'm going to audition from a friend. Another member here recommended a Muse Model 100.
jsbach1685

Showing 3 responses by zd542

"I have about $550 max to spend on a power source"

I would just buy a poweramp and use the volume on the Theta. For $550, I don't think you'll find something that sounds better.
"03-25-15: Gslone
If you haven't got your power amp yet, make sure you get one on the warm and smooth side. I've owned Theta products from the late 90's (and still own one piece) In my experience they sound on the detailed and hard side and sometimes glaring, so I think you would need to soften it up any way you can, unless you like that type of hard sound. "

The Miles never had that problem. If anything, its a little on the dull side.
"03-26-15: Gslone
Zd542
My system revealed Theta products from the late 90's to be very neutral, detailed, dynamic, dry, hard, in your face, and at times glaring with badly recorded CD's. And they did this very impressively."

I believe you. My comment was just on the Miles. To me, it seemed like it didn't come alive with music. I'm not sure what it was. If I had to guess, maybe it was the transport. I never did like the Pioneer units they put in those things.