There's a lot more bass in a 6.5" driver than most of you think

One topic of discussion I often see new audiophiles touch on is whether to get larger speakers for more bass.

I usually suggest they tune the room first, then re-evaluate. This is based on listening and measurement in several apartments I’ve lived in. Bigger speakers can be nothing but trouble if the room is not ready.

In particular, I often claim that the right room treatment can make smaller speakers behave much larger. So, to back up my claims I’d like to submit to you my recent blog post here:

https://speakermakersjourney.blogspot.com/2020/01/the-snr-1-room-response-and-roon.html

Look at the bass response from those little drivers! :)

I admit for a lot of listeners these speakers won’t seem as punchy as you might like, but for an apartment dweller who does 50/50 music and theater they are ideal for me. If you’d like punchy, talk to Fritz who aligns his drivers with more oomf in the bass.

erik_squires
I agree with Erik, not based on measurements, but my own ears. I do all my listening via a complex desktop audio setup. I've had 5-6 different powered speakers + passives here, and the top of the heap is the ATC SCM12 Pro passives. 

These have 6" woofers and easily the best tweeter I've ever heard. The bass is astounding, also the volume and fullness of sound. I do have a sub (always did) which handles notes below 70 Hz. But down to that cutoff, the bass is concussive & very detailed. The mid-bass in particular is rich & full, just like real music. 

Until the ATCs I wouldn't have believed bass this good could come out of a 2-way.
I think it’s worth noting that the prototype Magnepan “30.7 for condos” recently shown uses multiple smaller woofers for its bass component. All the options available and that’s what they chose. You can argue that the company is trying to keep up with the speed of its ribbon driver, but that responsiveness strikes me as a plus itself.
I love the bass that comes from the dual 2.5 way 6.5" drivers in my ProAc Studio 148s.  Additionally, using some foam bungs to tune the downward firing ports and Soundocity outriggers really puts out the experience I've been looking for before I got these.
@jfuquay, Magnepan is indeed using multiple small woofers in it's 30.7 For Condos model, eight 6.5" per side to be exact. But they are mounted not in a sealed or ported enclosure, but in an open baffle frame. Can't wait to hear 'em!