The Vinyl Community's Mazzy's new "Cease & Desist" YouTube video.

Norman Maslov (Mazzy) has developed quite a following amongst the Vinyl Community, with a subscriber base of over 5,000. And with good reason: He has a nice LP and CD music library, a good knowledge of the music the discs contain and the artists responsible, and is himself an interesting, entertaining fella. For a good time, check them out.

His newest video was made in honor of the current political situation in The U.S.A., and concerns the use of songs by a guy who will very soon be leaving his current residence (though he and many of his "slower" fans have yet to accept that fact). In the video, Mazzy cites a number of songs this individual and his minions have used at rallies, etc., songs for which the copywrite holders have issued to the individual Cease & Desist orders. They include the following:

- The Beatles: "Here Comes The Sun" (written by George Harrison). McCartney suggested an alternative: "Beware Of Darkness" (on a GH solo album). Funny, ay? ;-)

- Bruce Springsteen: "Born In The U.S.A.". Used by Ronald Reagan as well, who also didn’t "get" the lyrics.

- Creedence Clearwater Revival: "Fortunate Son". Ironic, hmm?

- Elton John: "Rocket Man".

- Prince: "Purple Rain".

- The Rolling Stones: "You Can’t Always Get What You Want".

- Tom Petty: "I Won’t Back Down". Yeah, we know.

- REM: "It’s The End Of The World As We Know It". Fortunately, not as much so as a second term would have meant.

- Phil Collins: "In The Air Tonight".

- The Village People: "Macho Man".

After that, Mazzy offers a selection of alternative songs, ones with titles more appropriate to said individual:

- The Beatles: "I’m A Loser".

- Neil Innes (The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, The Rutles): "How Sweet To Be An Idiot". Harsh ;-)

- The Knickerbockers: "Lies". A great song, by the way.

- The Smiths: "Big Mouth Strikes Again", "Unlovable", and "Half A Person". The latter being in this context generous.

- Dan Hicks: "How Can I Miss You When You Won’t Go Away", "Cheaters Don’t Win".

- John Lennon: "How Do You Sleep At Night?" (Answer: On the big pile of money he swindled his "marks" out of), "Crippled Inside", and "Gimme Some Truth" (don’t hold your breathe).

- Bob Dylan: "Neighborhood Bully".

- The Kinks: "He’s Evil".

- And finally and most fittingly: Julie London: "Adios".

Feel free to offer your own nominations!

128x128bdp24
Interesting thread & somewhat old. But what the H? Since this is a MUSIC thread, here goes. The party in power (Cmdr & Thief) are holding Cmte meeting today on silencing dissenting opinions thus destroying the 1st amendment, How LONG do you think it will take them to get around to silencing MUSIC they don't like which may be music you DO like? FWIW, I disagree with Neil Youngs political leaning. But I admire his music and play it. The problem with bringing up this stuff is that we are totally divided now as a country. How does this thread help the audiophile community?

Me, "help" the audiophile community? First, I don’t presume to have anything in the way of help for that community; I am not nearly as concerned with my music playback system as is the typical audiophile. "It’s about the music" may be a cliche’, but not in my case. My music library is worth far more than is my hi-fi, both in terms of importance to me and in monetary value.

And then there is the fact that the audiophile community---at least the segment active on Audiogon---has largely ignored the products offered by EAR Yoshino, Music Reference, Eminent Technology, Townshend Audio, and London, those being amongst my favorites. Considering that, why would anyone care what I have to say regarding hi-fi? Well, in the case of the London cartridges, that may be justified. ;-)

But that’s not really what you’re getting at, is it @artemus_5?

This thread was started for those whose taste in music, record collecting, and humor might find Mazzie’s posts in general, and the one referred to above specifically, of interest. I thought it might provide solace for like-minded people here on AG in the closing months of our national nightmare. It did for me.

If it doesn’t for you, I suggest you avoid the recordings of not just Neil Young, but also Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie, Bruce Springsteen, John Fogarty, Ry Cooder, John Mellencamp, Iris Dement, Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt, Johnny Cash, Steve Earle, Emmylou Harris, and all the other libtard artists.

But don’t despair. There is still Ted Nugent, Mike Love and Bruce Johnston of The Beach Boys, and.....uh, I think that’s about it. Enjoy!

@bdp24 ,

Been enjoying these videos. My favorite so far is Mazzy's favorite Byrd's lps. Can tell these were special to him.

We miss you posting brother.