The vanishing stereo rack

Following up on another discussion about how important it is to be in the same room as your stereo equipment, Dynaudio is apparently already making the entire stereo vanish.

erik_squires

This is definitely a niche concept and not the "norm" or usual arrangement.  Wide range adoption of the "vanishing stereo rack" will be unusual and or futuristic.

I love dedicated gear as much as anyone, and I am literally negotiating with my wife right now where the dedicated rack will go in our remodel. But make no mistake everyone, WE are the niche (and in many ways dying) concept, not lifestyle products. I would estimate that a single-digit percentage of my friends have a dedicated stereo at this point. Fractions of a percent if you count millennials and younger (I work with a lot of them). 

taww,

I get your point(s) about where to place the dedicated rack in your remodeled space and the fact that 2-channel systems are not commonplace.  Passions and pursuits are not the same for everyone.  I can simply wish you luck going forward.

I look at this speaker and picture the Woody Allen movie “Sleeper.”   Everything wireless.  I guess an IPad controls everything.  Could you imagine these speakers in the movie Sleeper, the iPad on the table next to the Sex ball :)

Re:  that Cabasse speaker, for $21K, seems like a great speaker for the science fiction fan or someone who loves War of the Worlds….

My equipment racks are grandfathered in. I had them before I met my wife and made it clear to her when we got together that they weren't going anywhere. Ever. Some of the equipment has turned over periodically, but the racks are there to stay.

Fortunately for me, she is as avid a music fan as I am, so I guess I'll keep her.

I'm hiding the racks of equipment in a room behind the front speakers in my new music room/theater and hiding the ATMOS and surround speakers.  I would have hid all the speakers if I could have done that without changing the sound for 2 channel sound.  A stereo that sounds much larger than it looks is the dream that Bose and others sell so I thought it would be fun to take that to another level.