The value of Bad. Knowing what you don't want, is as valuable as knowing what you do.

In the flower days of the 60s and into the 80s there were thoughts of everyone and everything being good and personal best.  Most know that there are good and bad people, and no one wants a surgeon that got through school on personal best.   Basically in knowing what I do not want, helps me not waste time and I can focus on what I do want.....and this should not be a surprise to anyone on AudiogoN, it is very much what the pursuit of the absolute sound/the high end is about. 

If you are not sure about this, go to ebay and type "audiophile" in the search bar and look through the listings.

28k+ listings,    audiophile | eBay

In this current time, we are much beyond "Buyer Beware", in many things from what we consume to who we vote for.  

Perhaps I am different, but knowing I wanted to listen to Jazz and not Disco included the thought of what I didn't want. 

Of course when push comes to shove, there are always Pop-Tarts.....

whatjd
I "want" an excessive studio reverb KILL SWITCH in order that I can listen to Chaka Khan recordings sans what I "don't" want.

Is that asking too much?

DeKay
DeKay, yes...that is asking for too much. 

But I can do an autographed 45 of the Cap and Toenail doing "Love Will Keep Us Apart"
Knowing what I don't want is incredibly valuable. Of course it takes time learning what's not worth knowing about, or having. But then once done it pays dividends forevermore. 

Don't want speakers less than 92dB sensitivity. 

Don't want phono cartridge less than 0.5mV output. 

Don't want tone arm the phono lead isn't hard wired. 

Don't want digital. In any guise.  

Don't want specs- other than the first two. Those I want. 

That'll do.
Right.
Don't want digital in any form. But have to have it at times.
Don't want direct drive turntable.
Don't want vinyl if I can have good master tape dubs. I can't, too expensive or unavailable.
Don't want any Asian parts in my equipment except Japanese and maybe Taiwanese.
Don't want horn speakers. Not my kind of presentation.

After many years I've learned not to dismiss anything until I hear it in an adequate demonstration.