The Truth about Modern Class D

All my amps right now are Class D. ICEpower in the living room, and NAD D 3020 in the bedroom.

I’ve had several audiophiles come to my home and not one has ever said "Oh, that sounds like Class D."

Having said this, if I could afford them AND had the room, I’d be tempted to switch for a pair of Ayre monoblocks or Conrad Johnson Premiere 12s and very little else.

I’m not religious about Class D. They sound great for me, low power, easy to hide, but if a lot of cash and the need to upgrade ever hits me, I could be persuaded.

The point: Good modern Class D amps just sound like really good amplifiers, with the usual speaker/source matching issues.

You don’t have to go that route, but it’s time we shrugged off the myths and descriptions of Class D that come right out of the 1980’s.
erik_squires
Amplifiers are analogue devices. Loudspeakers' transducers (drivers) are moved by voltage swings, not zeroes and ones. D in D-class does not mean digital.

weak1657 posts09-07-2018 11:57pmGeorge I clicked on the GaN link you provided, Alas, it does not account for XLR

This one has balanced.
http://epc-co.com/epc/Portals/0/epc/documents/guides/EPC9106_qsg.pdf

Cheers George
I agree...current class D is just fine. I have owned all kinds of brands...mcintosh...rotel...krell...nad...exposure...muse....channel islands...cairn...peachtree. I currently own red dragon pascal-based class d amps and they are great. Plenty of folks find McIntosh TOO lush....almost syrupy. 
Too funny George
You love to dish it out but cannot handle a little bit of criticism yourself.
Says more than my original post ever could tbh

you have a great day now .
I agree Class D is just fine. Competes just as fine as any other design tube or SS. Class A is also very fine but problem there is size weight and overall cost of ownership especially if many watts called for. Class D these days easily competes and offers unique benefit in these areas that matter practically to many.

George talks like no Class D amp can compete with any other kind whereas we all know quality and cost varies greatly with all kinds of amps.

Now if one wants to compare a specific class D amp to some other then there may be something worth talking about.

That's the truth.  ☝️