The truth about high end speakers MUST READ

We audiophiles are a fussy discerning bunch who demand very specific requirements when it comes to what we hear.
The problem is that these requirements are seldom met no matter how much you spend on speakers. 

Forums like this indicate that audiophiles are trapped in a cycle of neverending upgrades and dissatisfaction no matter how much is spent.

We have been deceived into believing that a "one size fits all" speaker that has been designed by an "expert" who knows better than we do about our requirements, will be ok. This is obviously not the case since every audiophile has a different hearing response curve and different preference. 

If you choose a speaker that has a rising response with frequency, and you prefer a darker sound then its not going to matter whether it uses diamond or berylium, or mdf or aluminium cabinets, or a 4th order or 1st order crossover.

Its not going to matter if the designer has a phd in physics or decades of experience in speaker design because its YOUR hearing that needs to be satisfied not THEIRS.

We are being duped folks. The best you can expect out of all these high end speakers is substandard satisfaction for a few years before you get fed up and decide to UPGRADE!

In conclusion, the notion of a high end speaker is in fact a myth. No such thing exists. Buying a high end speaker is a complete gamble and most audiophiles end up losing not winning. The only winners are the speaker manufactures because as long as they continue to sell, they continue to profit. 

Its also impossible to compare all the different speakers out there in the comfort of our homes so the dealers obviously dont make it any easier for us audiophiles. Its pointless going to a store demo since thats not where youre going to be listening once you buy the speaker. We are getting a raw deal. 

Thankyou for reading. 

kenjit
I know a lot of people who live many years with a single pair of:
ESL57, Spendor Classics (sp100, 2/3, 1/2), Harbeth, Magneplan, Klipsh, old Tannoy, old JBL L200, Altec (A7, 19 Valencia, 604, 605).

I listened to my B&W Matrix 801 S3 for 21 years, and I was consistently impressed by how good they sounded. Of course these speakers were mainstream recording/mixing monitors for a similar length of time (maybe longer).

This model was before all these dummy diamond tweeters.
But modern B&W went far away to more modern audiophile stile of sound.

And I think it is nothing wrong to exchange your speakers every year so far you enjoy to do it.

@cd318

So, as of 2019 (and the foreseeable future), buying any loudspeaker is a decision based upon how many compromises you are willing to accept. And which ones that particularly matter most to you.

This is what we are being led to believe but it's wrong. The implied claim is that one loudspeaker is significantly audibly superior to another because e.g it uses a carbon fibre cabinet, or a diamond dome, or a superior midwoofer. There is no evidence to support these claims. If there is, show me a double blind test. 

I claim that most loudspeakers are actually very similar to each other. So similar that if their frequency response and phase cohesion were equal, they would sound pretty much the same. 
So the sleight of hand is this. You have hundreds of speakers in the marketplace and each differs from another in multiple ways making it impossible to discern the reasons for any audible differences. The marketing department then comes up with a bunch of marketing spiel to explain why their speaker is superior, which is given to the audiophile dealers who then relay the BS to the customers who are even more ignorant than the dealers. 

How many standmount speakers are there out there for example that use a 6inch woofer and a tweeter?  The answer is too many. There are dozens of such designs all vying for our attention but its all a scam. The real difference lies in the crossover which controls how its all voiced. And the cruel irony is we arent the ones that gets to voice it exactly to suit our hearing and room. Its all done by the so called "speaker designers" who think they know better than we do. We are then left to sample all the different options, none of which are optimised for us. The speaker companies win and the customers lose. The used market for high end speakers is full of activity because most folks are unhappy. This raises the prices of new speakers which further profits the companies. 

And that is how the game works folks. 

Revolt!  Overthrow the speaker designers and manufacturers.  Off with their heads.  Occupy Elac.  They expect to make a profit...and they don’t even know what I like to hear.  There are too many similar,  good quality speakers to choose from.  Capitalism works by confounding the customer. And some, I’m sure are very fine people.
kenjit
The implied claim is that one loudspeaker is significantly audibly superior to another because e.g it uses a carbon fibre cabinet, or a diamond dome, or a superior midwoofer. There is no evidence to support these claims. If there is, show me a double blind test.
Of all components, speaker systems are the most likely to sound different from each other. If you’d like to see that proven with a double-blind test, please feel free to conduct your own test.
So you are implying that speaker companies are touting their innovations (however good or bad they may sound to you) in order to sell them and make a profit?!?!?!

The whole notion of a company trying to make money is absurd and I refuse to believe it.