The title is:"There's No Such Thing As Digital..."

Subtitled: "A Conversation With Charles Hansen, Gordon Rankin and Steve Silberman". It's an interesting read if you're not yet familiar with this particular topic...or have only considered it briefly. I wouldn't call myself a digital expert, but I can see no reason to quibble with it one bit:

www.audiostream.com/content/draft

Enjoy.
128x128ivan_nosnibor

Showing 3 responses by kiwi_1282001

Hello Johnnyb53. Thanks for the overview.

I didn't think there was any such thing as 100% jitter free? I thought all timing sources had jitter? Have you also overlooked the fact that some CDP's even reasonably priced ones, use high speed drives and buffer into memory for CD playback?

Computers were designed for word processing and have some of their own challenges likes noisy fans, cheap and very nasty RFI / EMI emitting power supplies, CPU interruptions etc.

Finally, jitter is a timing error. At what point does that become audible? Can our ears really detect say 400 pico seconds of jitter? If not then even a basic CDP is acceptable.
Good for you Nonoise. We are all here to learn from the experience of others with the common purpose of enjoying the reproduction of music - however that may be achieved.

Perhap both you and Audioengr could provide a "bill of materials" on respective solutions for cited overall investments?

Speaking personally, thus far, I have not been able to a music server and DAC to better my Esoteric K-series CDP for around the same investment. I've tried what many believe to be the best of breed servers out their i.e. Aurender and SotM music servers coupled to the DAC's from Meitner and Antelope Audio - but somehow whilst extremely capable, they really were not musically engaging. They lost something. I don't know why. I wondered whether the USB interface between the Server and DAC is a point of weakness? I also wondered whether the multiple linear power supplies in the Esoteric provided a superior foundation on which to create musical reproduction? I don't know and thats why I read forums. To hear from others.