the sound of massed violins in classical orchestral recordings

why do massed violins have this sort of gritty sandpapery reverberation in classical orchestral recordings?even in some sections of a piece, when the violins are playing softly in the background, you hear that gritty overtone more than the melody.when I listen to the Houston symphony in Jones Hall,sitting fourth row, facing the violin section, I don't hear that sound.I have three systems { two of them mid-fi ] and I hear the same thing-even with headphones.in all instances, the other parts of the orchestra are clear.  my main system : Vanalistine Trancendence 10 tube preamp,a 35 year old solid state Proton D1200 amp, [have tried NAD,Project, Musical Fidelity amps--they don't sound any better],Onkyo dx7555 CD player [Stereophile class B],and Project Carbon turntable with Grado Black 2 cartridge [ the Ortophon Red was too bright ] through Magnepan MG12/QR speakers.Tried a highly regarded Elac speaker--no change as far as the violins go, but way inferior to those dramatic Maggies.So, there you have it. Is it the equipment? Is the state of the art not up to recording violins? Is it me? [its o.k.-I can take it}. In closing,a couple of years ago,I had phone conversation with a well known person associated with a major speaker company about this. His response :[ paraphrased ] Violins are a problem--don't like 'em.  Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.
Three factors come to mind. 

1.  Microphones used, pickup pattern of those mics and miking technique.  Having made many orchestral recordings using a variety of mics and miking techniques and in a variety of halls, it has been my experience that these variables can make a real difference in the way strings (and everything else for that matter) sound in playback.  The best vinyl recordings I have heard seem to be older ones that were made using very simple miking techniques.  While there are variations in the smoothness of the string sound among those recordings, they are all very listenable.  Much time was typically taken to make tests in order to achieve proper balance of the various orchestral sections as well as the balance of direct to reverberant sound with the goal to get the mics in absolutely the ideal location.  There are a number of more recent recordings that were made using similar minimalist techniques that sound impressive as well, some analog and others digital.  Many post mid-1970 recordings were made using overly complex miking techniques that sound awful.  The development of multi channel recorders and mixing consoles created opportunities for engineers to twiddle away to a fare thee well.  Some engineers justify this claiming that it is far easier (and less costly) to achieve proper balance in mixdown if they mic sections of the orchestra more closely.   No one listens to strings or any other instrument from 5-6 feet away in a concert hall save the musicians themselves.  There are sometimes some nasty mechanical sounds one can hear when very close to an instrument that just naturally get attenuated and mixed with reflected sound in the concert hall and seem to disappear by the time it reaches the audience.
2.  There is the psycho acoustic effect of actually being in the concert hall and seeing the musicians play.  It has been my observation that we accept sounds in a live performance that we would reject as troubling in some way when in playing back a recording of that same performance in a listening room.
3.  When we listen to a recording in a listening room, we hear not only what was recorded, but the influence of the listening environment and the playback equipment.  We can chase our tails (and empty our bank accounts) trying this type of tweeter or that type of preamp and never achieve what we heard (or thought we heard) in the concert hall.   
Very interesting discussion.  I have been listening to what I think are the best massed string recordingI have come across:  The Cleveland Orchestra’s A New Century boxed set. Disc 1 has a string orchestra arrangement of Beethoven’s string quartet No. 15 that is extremely well recorded. As is the entire three disc set—at $50 an absolute bargain: 3 SACDs, a code for 24/96 hi-res downloads, and A lavish 180 page book.  
I used to find mass strings to be hashy on a couple  of recordings of The Lark Ascending.  These same recordings sound much better now.  Can’t pinpoint the reason but three things come to mind: upgraded power cables in my sources (Nordost Vishnu’s and now Morrow MAP3s), more powerful amp (Bel Canto Ref 500m), and IsoAcoustic Gaia feet under my speakers (Dali Mentor 6s).

hypomam : thank you. your post makes sense and reinforces what several others have been saying.the problem is in the recording and you and others have made a strong case for the causes.i feel the best thing to do is to find components, amps and particularly speakers, that tend toward a softer, more distant presentation with out too much collateral damage. suggestions, anyone?
Personally, I think the dispersion characteristics of the mid and HF driver(s) is critical in regard to addressing your concerns.  Assuming fairly flat and smooth response of the associated components, the proximity of presentation should reflect that of the recording when the speakers have good dispersion.  At least that has been my experience and has been the case with a variety of vacuum tube and solid state equipment used.  Another thing I would keep in mind is playback volume.  I usually sneak up on the volume until I'm comfortable I'm hearing the level of detail that sounds right to me.  If I start too loud, things don't sound as good when I lower the volume.
GoldenEar Triton 1 speakers used or 1R new.  Very smooth.
Aforementioned Benchmark AHB2 amplifier.  I combine with a tube preamp (Conrad-Johnson).
 I listen to 95% classical, mostly symphonic, with these components.  Never a problem with massed violins sound, even in poor recordings, yet very revealing and transparent.