The Science of Cables

It seems to me that there is too little scientific, objective evidence for why cables sound the way they do. When I see discussions on cables, physical attributes are discussed; things like shielding, gauge, material, geometry, etc. and rarely are things like resistance, impedance, inductance, capacitance, etc. Why is this? Why aren’t cables discussed in terms of physical measurements very often?

Seems to me like that would increase the customer base. I know several “objectivist” that won’t accept any of your claims unless you have measurements and blind tests. If there were measurements that correlated to what you hear, I think more people would be interested in cables. 

I know cables are often system dependent but there are still many generalizations that can be made.
128x128mkgus
And a pair of SM dual Canare StarQuad assemblies at ~$150 breaks so many banks for audiophiles, too! Too much to risk, eh? You. Have. No. Idea. What. You’re. Missing.
People with less system building experience simply don't have a frame of reference that allows envisioning better, and are suspicious of claims to that effect. One has to be willing to test their suspicions. Those who do, discover.

I understand skepticism. Many years ago I was a cable skeptic.  It's one reason why I am willing to try what no one else will. 

Do we have any skeptics willing to try Schroeder Method, given due diligence re: compatibility?
Doug,
Can you recommend which rca connector to purchase for the Schroeder Method?
@celander And a pair of SM dual Canare StarQuad assemblies at ~$150 breaks so many banks for audiophiles, too!

If, in Mr. Schroeder’s proclamation, he would have used SM dual Canare StarQuad cables @ $150.00, or Elizabeth’s $51.80 4 F AQs, as the test example for his Schroeder Method, rather than the TEO Audio Liquid Audio Cables and the Clarity Cable (both over $2K per 1M set and both he had previously, lustrously reviewed as being among the most open, detailed, quick and revealing, of cables) it would have made a bit of sense. My thought is - If it takes doubling up a set of $2K+ IC cables, or a pr. of $13,000 speaker cables, to really make them sound great, maybe they weren’t that great in the first place...Jim

@elizabeth You’re Welcome! Best of luck - let us know.
Here is the thing....understanding of stuff moves on....it does not stand still as it does in the minds of the fundamentalists such as the adherents of the LCR-or-the-highway Creed....bashing the Wright Bros because we have modern aircraft is just as wrong headed as bashing anyone for making a cable as well as they did given the most current state of cable building techniques available at the time.

To quote John Maynard Keynes

When my information changes I alter my conclusions What do you do sir?

Well what we did was not sit around and mope and bury our heads in the sand as a fundamentalist would do we acted on the new information and built cable assemblies that incorporated this idea and the results produced spectacular results. But what was especially interesting was the assembly did not produce a result consistent with the standard LCR understanding of what a global doubling of assembly capacitance would produce ( there was no high frequency roll-off, in fact the high end was significantly more delineated, and without any etching, and the sound stage got noticeably larger in every dimension ). Which is why I threw that weird result out to the folks here who claim to intimately know the workings of cable through the strict application of known and accepted laws that generally explain cable behaviour.

And btw we have tried several different cables assemblies using this idea and everytime we used assemblies that had proved superior in the past we got better results in what we call a Double Double configuration. So old methods still have validity in this paradigm, they just seem , uhhh, supercharged, in some way we really can’t explain. But the bottom line is they do, they really really do.

But hey you can stick to your I can’t be bothered what I have is good enough, even though the effort to do so is so relatively minimal if that is what you have to do, but a word of caution when you bury your head in the sand be sure to close your eyes cause you may scratch a cornea or something.