The Plasmatron - more linear output voltage

From the website: "The Plasmatron provides a more linear voltage output."

Can someone explain why this would be beneficial as an ideal power supply is a sine wave? If it produced a sawtooth wave it could be more linear, but a sawtooth wave is what the cheapest transistors use.

A EE friend of mine is baffled by this claim. Can someone shed some light?
mceljo

Showing 2 responses by zd542

"How much experience do modern EE's have with this old technology? Maybe he needs to do some research. Tubes are probably not covered extensively in Electrical Engineering school although they probably were at one time. Plus this is a unique tube in that is filled with inert gas rather than a vacuum.
Rja (Threads | Answers | This Thread)"

The real question is "How much experience does an EE have in designing high end audio equipment?". The only EE's I trust are the ones who put their money were their mouth is, and design the audio equipment I buy. Who cares what all the other ones say?
"My friend has specifically mentioned Krell as a company that uses scientifically correct and sound marketing where a EE can truly appreciate something g about the equipment."

Your friend might want to re-think that one. If there's one thing we know about Krell's marketing, its the slogan "un-phased by any load". They built their business on that phrase. The problem is that its a flat out lie. There's no amp that's un-phased by any load. If that were true, they wouldn't be making amps that put out different amounts of power. Based on their marketing claims, there would be no need to.