The only Denon DVD-3910 question never asked

I have question about my Denon DVD-3910 universal player. I searched the archives and there are 217 threads with questions and comments about this player, but I could not find even one on this particular subject. Yikes.

The DVD-3910 has two sets of analog outputs; multi-channel and stereo. I have connected my preamp (Audio Research LS-25) to the stereo output pair and it sounds pretty good. The player also allows connection to the L/R main channels of the multi-channel output with some set-up adjustments in the audio menu (channel “multi” to “2 channel”.) Has anyone compared these two output options and noted any sonic differences?

I know my curiosity will get the better of me and I’ll have to try both, but thought I’d ask to see if anyone else had tried this.

Rest of the system – Krell Showcase amp, ML Aeon i speakers, Meridian 568 processor, and miles and miles and miles of AudioQuest cable.

Thanks. Bob R.
rmrobinson1957

Showing 2 responses by thedautch

First of all, I appreciate the highly professional feedback on this thread! We got some big-time folks responding.

Alex and Kal (as well as others, of course)--would you say stereo outputs are *generally* better on machines you've worked with? I have a Pioneer 563A that Dan Wright modified, and I have trouble discerning the difference between stereo and just playing two-channel discs through the multichannel 6-cable output (all 6 are Analysis Plus Golden Oval RCA, with no cables hooked up at all to the stereo outputs).

Also, I wonder if machines that use FireWire (or HDMI 1.3, which is both SACD and DVD-A capable, right?) would vary from the stereo outputs. In other words, if I have a universal player with both a proprietary link (FireWire, HDMI, etc.) and stereo outputs, would it be better to use the proprietary link for all multi-channel AND two-channel listening, or use my Golden Ovals from the stereo output and the proprietary link for multichannel?

I realize this is a highly hypothetical question, and the answer may vary too widely from machine to machine, but any comments are more than welcome.

Brian
Alex, many thanks for the explanation. Perhaps there will be a Denon DVD-3920 (with Blu Ray/HD-DVD), and we'll see how THAT piece is designed!