The only Denon DVD-3910 question never asked

I have question about my Denon DVD-3910 universal player. I searched the archives and there are 217 threads with questions and comments about this player, but I could not find even one on this particular subject. Yikes.

The DVD-3910 has two sets of analog outputs; multi-channel and stereo. I have connected my preamp (Audio Research LS-25) to the stereo output pair and it sounds pretty good. The player also allows connection to the L/R main channels of the multi-channel output with some set-up adjustments in the audio menu (channel “multi” to “2 channel”.) Has anyone compared these two output options and noted any sonic differences?

I know my curiosity will get the better of me and I’ll have to try both, but thought I’d ask to see if anyone else had tried this.

Rest of the system – Krell Showcase amp, ML Aeon i speakers, Meridian 568 processor, and miles and miles and miles of AudioQuest cable.

Thanks. Bob R.
rmrobinson1957

Showing 2 responses by aplhifi

The dedicated Stereo/Stereo Mix outputs are the better choice because the analog conditioning (filter) circuit is better compared to the MCH outs.

The downside about this scenario is that some crazy MCH lovers can not use the higher quality Stereo outs for Front L+R MCH Hi-Rez playback.

Well, at least the DACs for all channels are the same in the 3910. The sonic difference between Stereo and MCH is not that big too.

Regards,
Alex
Thedautch, some players do have a higher quality Stereo outs, some don't. In the case of your Pioneer 563 there is much better DAC used for the Stereo (DSD1791) and worse used for the MCH (DSD1702). The good part is that the Stereo and the Front L+R channels outputs are literally the same thing - they are paralleled. So, it does not matter where you will connect your cables on the back (Stereo outs or Front L+R outs) you will get the same sound quality because both are processed by exactly the same circuit.

In the Denon 3910 all DACs are identical but only the Stereo/Mix channels have the higher quality filtering circuit. The Stereo output in the Denon can not be used for Front L+R MCH outputs. In one of my entry line Denon 3910 re-designs I am changing this so the Stereo becomes also the Front L+R output for MCH. Of course the MIX is disabled but MCH recordings don't sound good mixed down to Stereo anyway.

Yes, it will be ok to use Firewire, HDMI or even the Coax Digital for movies MCH playback and stick to the high quality Stereo outputs on the player for critical 2 Ch listening.

Regards,
Alex