The nightmare of the cartridge buyer...

I recently completed a several year quest to acquire a new cartridge. This quest was basically a major PITA and a nightmare!

Why? Well let’s take a look at what will be in store for all cartridge buyers’ in the US...and possibly other countries as well..IF they are seeking a top flite cartridge , like I was.

Firstly, and here’s where a big part of the problem lies: You will typically be unable to audition any cartridge under consideration...certainly not in your own home and more often than not, at your dealers either.

Then we have the fact that these products are closely monitored for who and whom can act as a dealer...which is then severally restricted by territory and distribution. We then add that the pricing is very well controlled...CAN WE SAY PRICE FIXING...which in most states is an illegal practice...but seems to be the rule here.

Let’s begin with my story...and then I am hoping that members will chime in here with their thoughts and probably also their own ’horror stories’....

About three years ago, I decided to acquire a cartridge that would replace my aging but still ok Benz Ruby 2...
I wanted a cartridge that would surpass that Benz in most areas...and one that would be priced at about $3-$5K. A lot of money to be spending on this piece of gear...or so I believed.

At the time, I was considering the following models....Benz LPS MR, Koetsu Urushi and Rosewood Platinum and the Lyra Kleos, Delos, a EMT, the Kiseki Purpleheart, Air Tight ( entry level model at the time..cannot remember what it was called) an Ortofon A90--and a Transfiguration Proteus--lastly one of the ZYX models. After some research, i discovered that the Ortofon’s, the Zyx’s and the Transfigurations wouldn’t work with my set up --due to too low an output by the respective cartridges for my all tube phono stage. So this left the Kiseki, the Koetsu’s, the Lyra’s and the Benz’s...and possibly the Air Tight model.

Circumstances changed and my cartridge buying escapade was put on hold...until a few months back. In the few years since my last foray, I find out that Benz have basically gone out of business ( again!!) and so has Transfiguration. Meanwhile, the Van Den Hul line has come into the US again...this time with a new distributor.
The Zyx line has totally been updated and the Lyra line is now more available than before...at least in theory. The Koetsu are now handled by Music Direct...who have essentially doubled the pricing across the board! Oh, i forgot, the Lyra line has increased by about 25% across the board ( i don’t think inflation can account for this!!)
So where to start auditioning --the answer...nowhere!
Instead I am supposed to rely on various dealers enthusiastic recommendation for these products...except for the fact that one dealer tells me that Koetsu’s are the best thing since mothers milk- and the other tells me that Koetsu’s are horrible with all the faults under the sun...( at least the ones that are in my budget..see above!) Can I hear any of these for myself...either in my system, or at the respective dealers...heck NO! ( and don’t think this type of scenario/ behavior isn’t consistent for other brands as well!--irrespective of whether the dealer(s) carries said brand or not!).

Here I am left with the choice of dropping several thousand dollars on a product that a) has no ability to be heard in my own system..therefore having no clue as to the results that I will get, b) has absolutely no return policy c) can be easily damaged by myself or others in the case of incorrect mounting to the tonearm...and lastly...and this is the one that really annoys me the most: I must shop for these products at a very limited amount of vendors who all are naysaying their competitors and acting extremely unprofessionally in the process. ( Do i really have to talk to the prospective rep for the line in order to determine the compatibility of the cartridge under question with my arm, the reasoning behind the asked price, where the dealer is that should be selling me the piece in question ( so as not to cross territorial lines) and on and on!!)

Then we have this little bonbon...The damn Japanese sourced cartridge(s) is available on several Japanese web sites at a price that is usually 50 -60% of the retail price here in the USA!! And that price in Japan is still at FULL RETAIL! ( Yes, I know it cost a ton of money to ship these things from Japan to here ( since they weigh a ton), LOL).

Where does this leave the US consumer in regards to the acquisition of a top flite cartridge...IMO the answer is between a hard place and a rock..You either pay through the nose and get totally ripped off by the likes of Music Direct and the various small independent reps in the US for these cartridges, or you takes your choice and risk buying from a grey market vendor abroad...but at a fraction of the price! BTW, mysteriously most of the top flite Benz cartridges continue to be very available from a vendor in China who seems to have cornered the market?? What’s up with this??

I can go on and about this journey, as I have just began to scratch the top of the heap in this story, but let’s hear from you guys as to your experiences and thoughts.... Was your top flite  cartridge acquisition an equal nightmare, or was it something else?

128x128daveyf
Davey, What more do you hope to achieve by perpetuating this thread?  Not only do at least 50% of the responders lack sympathy, but also none of us, including you, can do a darn thing about the current situation.  I do also think you are being a bit childish if you haven't investigated the possible arrangements with a certain few dealers whereby you might actually secure a home trial.  If that's what you really want, that's where you should place your effort.  Some likely sources have already been named.  Frankly, I don't care if you won't buy a vintage cartridge; that leaves one fewer buyer competing in that market for the very few worthwhile purchases I have not already made.  Have a nice day.
Post removed 
@rauliruegasi have been in this hobby for decades, not that that makes me an expert...as so many on this thread consider themselves.
Unfortunately, to my ears, the various cartridges out there have VERY distinct sounds...some of which I feel are more listenable than others, irrespective of price. Some of the models sound too warm, some are too bright, some are veiled and non resolving. Do they all sound good, as you say, not to my ears, to some of these other experts, I’m sure they do.
Here’s my point, I fail to see why a cartridge consumer has to take a financial risk by buying one of these expensive cartridges when all the dealers have to do is stock them and display them....which IME almost none do, and secondly have a demo model available for home usage. Now, if we were discussing the old days when the best cartridge were $200 or thereabouts, that’s a different matter, today we are talking tens of thousands of $$’s,...which to some folks is peanuts, but I suspect like you stated to a whole bunch...it isn’t. (I think you actually included yourself in this category).
Therefore, I am attempting to come up with solutions to the way these cartridges are sold and marketed....which may be a futile effort, based on several of the ‘no problem, I love the status quo’ responses that I am seeing. ( which, frankly, was exactly what I was expecting here).
If the status quo doesn’t bother you, then it’s all good.
It does bother me, at the very least what I can do is not buy cartridges at those prices, especially without auditioning in my system, regardless of whether or not I can afford them, that's irrelevant. I can afford a $50 cup of coffee in New York from time to time, I never buy it and never will. Nor will I allow anyone to buy it for me, by the way.
If someone got a problem with this thread and the OP one can easily take a hike and go buy one of those cartridges. While you do that try to think about the concept of intrinsic value, unless it would burden your intellect too much of course.
What a bunch.
Davy 

Post this same rant on the What's Best Forum, AudioShark, and Audio Nirvana sites, that you regularly visit, and see if you get a different response?

I doubt you will!