The New Western Electric 845 Replicas

It is a little confusing because, while both versions are copies of the Western Electric 284, the Psvane WE845 Replica's are a copy of the 284 A, which was the first version. They list for $798 and have a street price of around
$700. The Shuguang WE845 Replica's are copies of the later and superior 284 D version. United Electronics copied the Western Electric 284 D in the 1930's to 1950's. UE dubbed their version the 845 W. The "W" stood for
"warrized", which meat in today's jargon that they were "ruggardized" for military purposes. The Shuguang's go for about $450 a pair, I am not sure of the official list price. In my opinion, they are priced backwards.
The Shuguang WE 845 Replica's are the best 845, which I have heard since the United Electronics W's of which I owned a pair. They are now the best reason to own 845 output based equipment. If you are listening to 300 B's in a push-pull circuit because you need the extra power, these new 845's represent a viable alternative.
845 equipment owners, roll the correct new WE845 in and rejoice!
I will be back after I get a chance to listen to the new Shuguang 211's, which feature the same top chamber that their 845's and UE W's do. Western Electric used the top chamber to remove excess gas, which is why it was featured on many of it's larger output tubes.
128x128ws_trader

Showing 3 responses by ws_trader

For starters, the Psvane's are the oldest version of the WE 284, while the Shuguang's are copies of the WE 284 last version.
That top chamber provides extra support for the plate assembly.
I owned the United Electronics 845 W's and these sound very close to them and they are far from being broken-in. Sound wise, they are quieter right out of the box, more open and airy.
I ordered their 211's, today because they feature the same top chamber as the 845's.
I will post the best site to buy them, I have asked Shuguang, how they would prefer Audiogon members purchase them.
I know it's an NOS tube buyer's paradise, but since the Chinese have yet to properly identify the different versions correctly and accurately, the inferior Psvane's are doing better in the marketplace and I am concerned that they will stop making the Shuguang version.
All of us Americans really do not believe we are getting good value for our money, unless we pay enough for something. Do not be fooled by the inverted pricing. The Shuguang WE845's are a gift at $450 per pair,
don't doubt it, just buy them and say thank you.
The market will adjust, I'm betting all of you the price of the Psvane's drops, while the Shuguang's appreciate.
Happy and healthy listening.