The new Mcintosh MC 402

Anyone got a chance to audition the new Mcintosh MC402? How is it compare to the MC352 and MC602? I am currently using the MC352 to drive B&W Natilus 803. Should I start thinking about upgrading? THX!!
rodney01

Showing 3 responses by aball

Getting back to the unequal meters bit, I have for several years noticed that on my tape deck (yes, I still have one ;) the left channel meter is a little higher than the right 85% of the time. On the Mc, the left was higher 85% of the time too. I asked a buddy in the recording industry and he said that he was told the left channel is recorded higher than the right as part of the stereophonic effect. Don't know if this is true but in my experience, that sounds like a decent enough reason for so many recordings to be made that way. I am glad I have balance control! Arthur
Hassel: I think it is like the different-focus effect found with 3D glasses - just applied to your ears instead.

BTW, I hear this same thing on other amps besides McIntoshes. Mcs have meters so you can see it as well as hear it for solid confirmation. Some recordings make it very noticible - especially late 70s ones - where even unrelieving amps make it audible.
Congradulations Jolen1aub! Nice to see someone happy about their system. BTW, what amp did the 402 replace? Arthur