The new dynamic in speaker pricing

Yesterday I received the latest issue of the Absolute Sound mag. This issue has the round up of the varying speaker manufacturer’s wares along with the retail pricing. One thing that struck me is the number of speaker manufacturer’s who have a speaker in their line up that cost close to a $1M!! There are good number of speakers now available with prices in the $700K+ range. A few manufacturer’s are also a little ’glib’ with their top model pricing, such as Oswalds Mill--who state- price upon inquiry only!

This new speaker pricing dynamic is interesting, as it clearly indicates that there are buyers out there who are happy to pay these prices and presumably enough buyers to make these products viable. A trend that is certainly interesting and yet questionable as to how it will impact the hobby as a whole.

Opinions on this trend?

128x128daveyf

@j-wall  I've heard several Von Schweikert speakers from the VR-35 to the Ultra 11.  The Ultra 9 and 11 sounded better than any audio system I've ever heard (and I've probably heard about 1000 at shows mostly and maybe 50 in homes).  Sure, they also were accompanied by nearly $1 million in equipment/cabling in huge rooms.   However, buying slightly used speakers is bargain shopping for great sound.  I don't think I could afford even the best speaker for my room, the Ultra 7 at $180,000 or even the Ultra 55 at $100,000.  But I intend to purchase the VR9SE II from 2015 for under $50,000.  

My friend has YG Acoustic Sonja 2.3s, $115,000 speakers.   They sound better than my Legacy Focus which sell for around $2500-$3000.   However, the difference between his and my speaker isn't worth the difference to me.   I lack his 3D open sound and great ambience retrieval.  Otherwise, I'm quite satisfied with my musical (as opposed to ultra-resolving) sound.   

There is another reason (besides my matched excellent equipment/cabling) that my inexpensive speakers sound great.   I spent $150,000 constructing a custom built listening room which I have previously described on forums.   I don't have peaks or valleys and have built-in the wall bass traps.   

Unless I have a doubling in income, I just am too conservative to spend MAP on a new pair of speakers.   I would rather purchase "last year's" model for 25% to 35% of MAP.  And I love music, as a amateur recording engineer, performer and listener (over 2 hours daily).    

@fleschler Great point about the cost of the room. I would think that anyone who has the ability to buy the mega $$ speaker would have a room that could accommodate it. Not just from a size perspective ( although this is a given) but also from the acoustic requirements. This may be an assumption that is incorrect, as I suspect ( and I have seen a few poor room set ups with very pricey gear) that this is not always going to be the case. If one has a budget like you stated, then i would think that putting the bulk of the budget into the room and its acoustics will pay greater dividends than just about anything else. As you describe.

Question is what your friends very nice YG’s would sound like in your room?...I would guess that you would be tempted to pass on your Legacies then!

Yes, he also has a pair of subs and he paid $12K to separate the YGs woofers from the main speaker (they are adjacent now) so that the tweeter is more at ear level (they are too high as originally constructed).  They throw a huge soundstage and excellent focus which is much better than my speakers; but, alas, his room is 20x20X10 and has windows behind his speakers, mostly untreated room with no acoustic treatment or tweaks.  I'm surprised that it sounds so good but he does have another $200K in equipment/cabling.  His system more often homogenizes the sound whereas my system allows me to hear greater differences in each recording while being very involving.  

@fleschler  Your friend is very typical of a number of a'philes who much prefer putting their money into gear than into the room acoustics! Crazy to do this, IME.

The benefit he would get with going to similar lengths as you did to treat his room would far off-set the differences he likely got from lowering the far too high YG tweeters. Windows behind speakers is also never a great thing, IMO. That, plus his room is basically a square results in the sound you describe.

...I think I'll just continue to diy'ing my Walsh drivers.

They may not be 'perfection personified', but they make me smile.

Perhaps, when I excuse self from this mortal coil, I'll have them destroyed along with my notes, drawings, and all the items collected to make them.

...and y'all can be left with wondering what I was going on about, if bothering to do so at all.

Linkwitz noted "...ignore the room...."  Since mine is basically hideous at this time, it's an upfront necessity for me.  And they do it really well....

I've spent peanuts doing so.  My time involved can be considered in $ & sense to roughly equal to a pair of 10K$ units, but it's mine to burn.

Remaining clueless is your problem...mho....;)