The Much Maligned MP3?

There is a school of thought that regards any form of lossy data as inherently flawed and unsuitable for the use in high performance audio playback.

But is this really so?

When even Redbook CD is now regarded by some as inadequate, you can imagine their opinions on streaming via broadband Wi-Fi - or even, shock horror - Bluetooth 5!

Even the fact that equipment manufacturers and dealers routinely use it for demonstration purposes doesn’t deter these naysayers.

Not does the fact that the 128kbps MP3 used on YouTube is found to be perfectly acceptable to billions of users worldwide.

Some still regard the use of 320kbps MP3 (with over twice as much data) as heretical.

They also seem to be oblivious to the various ongoing discussions about user perceptions of quality such as the ongoing 720p v 1080p / Blu-ray v 4k resolution debate or the 60Hz v 90Hz v 144Hz monitor refresh rates issue etc.

Surely the fact that many uploaders are now seeking to post videos with better sound quality on sites such as YouTube surely demonstrates that there might be a huge demand for better sound quality out there.

As well as the inescapable fact that provenance matters far more than the means of transmission.

So isn’t it high time for audiophiles to shed some of these long held prejudices?
cd318

Showing 2 responses by cd318

@millercarbon,

"MP3 simply sounds like crap."

I would like to start by apologising if you were triggered by the word prejudice, but your reply perfectly highlights the very point I was making.

You do realise that many folk cannot distinguish between CD and 192kbps, let alone 320kbps?

"You’re saying provenance matters ... with digital??! Really?!?"

Provenance refers to the original source of something. In painting or photography it would be the original canvas or the negative.

In audio it’s usually the original master tape.

2nd or 3rd generation tapes can never be improvements, can they?

Even with digital there are often different masterings, so comparing like for like is not always so straightforward.

When you stream you are often presented with different masterings. Sometimes their provenance is made clear, but not always.

For example when listening to Revolver you might want to know is it the 1987 or the 2009? Is it stereo or the mono.

It gets even worse with Pepper.

"PS- you posted this in music. But the subject- which granted it is hard to tell just what the subject is, but it sure ain’t music"

The clue is in the title. For sure it’s a wide ranging subject but I hope we can both agree that the music matters most.

@mahgister,

"There are differences between lossless and too much compressed files in any relatively good system, especially if rightfully embedded..."

Yes, but at what point are they too much compressed?

Is ’too much’ at 128, 160, 192, 256 or even 320kbps?

I don’t mind confessing that I can’t easily hear any difference above 192kbps. As far as I know, no one else can either.

Yet the derision for MP3 continues.
@mahgister,

"Acoustic is so powerful that most upgrades seems small compared to it after the treatment and especially the acoustic controls are in place, unbeknownst to most people conditioned by market consumerism of gear in the form of reviews...."

What would be the easiest step you could recommend for all of us to try for ourselves?
More to discover