The most important factor in soundstage imaging

Everybody wants a system that images well. There are  many discussions here positing equipment changes that will improve imaging. Some people think the magic wand is cables, others are sure it’s the preamp, and the ones that don’t think it’s preamps, think it’s amplifiers. And, of course, speakers are (correctly) mentioned. 

However, the single most important factor in audio stereo imaging, is increasing direct radiation and decreasing reflected radiation, by moving the speakers away from the back wall, and away from the side walls. 
128x128phomchick

Showing 3 responses by tomic601

@whart wise indeed and part, a big part of why I initially started making my own recordings....and spending a lot of time w organists, piano players, small acoustic ensemble and chorale groups....TRYING to recreate what you hear in what I call the balanced direct and reverberant space. Amazing and fun and a reference burned into whatever is left of my mind.

So right about gear and music and travelling in both worlds.. join us for more of that in the Music section, What’s On Your Turntable Tonight ? thread....not a lot of dealers there either.....BUT some half crazed all night vinyl spinners...ha
@tomcarr.  disappointed YOU did not mention Jim Smiths most excellent book - Get Better Sound.

You turned me on to that :-]

and I thank you....
Time
Phase
Narrow minimum baffle
non resonant cabinet
minimize reflection back thru cone of magnet structure..
pistonic motion of the drivers in the relevant audio band love whizzers with 30% out of phase...( not )
breakup and or ringing far outside of the pass band
tuneable bass so you can fix room nodes, every room has MORE  than one, including the recording studio control room....
treat floor bounce in the critical midrange w tilt and a rug
treat first reflections agressively in the horizontal
natural mix of ramdom diffusion and absorbtion in a well lived in room ( give me a living room over most not all sterile, forest of amolifiers blocking the turntable “ audiophile “ rooms
get the equipmentbrack OFF to the side..
add Labrador  or any other working dog at your feet
good wine
.....have fun
enjoy the music....