The most fun you can have in audio is DIYing your own speakers

You don't have to make the best speakers on earth, or most expensive, and you don't have to become an expert in the tech, but in all my years in audio, I have to say DIY is the most fun and educational. For me, speaker building was a lot more fun than electronics (amps, pre's etc.) 

Lots of great sources for complete kits as well as paper-only designs. Speaker building is also a great thing to do with your kids. I highly recommend it.

Best,

Erik
erik_squires
 And I think it's on the money what Erik is saying about 10 times the cost of drivers. That's not the same as profit as it's true what TEO Audio was saying, there are other costs involved. 
 And everybody knows that cable manufacturers are the worst offenders when it comes to gluttonous profiteering 😇
He’s right...I paid something like 50 bucks a pair for some amazingly good Morrow ICs. I mean, yeah, they were on sale...still...50 bucks! Swine gluttons!
I thought I would chime in and say I have built Troels Gravensens Jensen Illuminator s.  This is a truly audiophile speaker.   Check his site out you can't go wrong.
I designed my speakers from the ground up.  Took about 18 months from preliminary designs for the cabinet, identifying drivers, multiple crossover designs, etc.  It can be a steep learning curve if you don’t go the kit route, but the forums listed above can help.  With the help of a woodturner in Iowa and a carpenter in Chicago I put together a very unique loudspeaker.  And as challenging as it was, it was a really rewarding experience.  The fact they sound great and punch way above their cost helps too.  Word to the wise, tho, it’s an addicting hobby—hard to stop building after your first pair.
Troels is a very experienced and accomplished kit designer, far more than I am, however I often catch myself smiling at some of his comments and choices matching so well with mine. If I had a soul-brother in terms of speaker design I'm sure it would be him.