The most fun you can have in audio is DIYing your own speakers

You don't have to make the best speakers on earth, or most expensive, and you don't have to become an expert in the tech, but in all my years in audio, I have to say DIY is the most fun and educational. For me, speaker building was a lot more fun than electronics (amps, pre's etc.) 

Lots of great sources for complete kits as well as paper-only designs. Speaker building is also a great thing to do with your kids. I highly recommend it.

Best,

Erik
erik_squires
Dan,
In the 50s, and through the mid 60s I had access to a complete carpenter shop and built several speaker cabinets. Used Altec Lansing, JBL and Tannoy speakers. My last venture was  a subwoofer with two JBL 15"; however, it was too large to move when I was transferred.  I quit building in 1965. (Currently listen via Thiel 2.7s and SS2.2 sub)

(I really liked those Tannoys.)
Erik.......

what all is involved in building your own speakers ?

do you have some links of these DIY speakers ?   

might consider this....
Riley, 

It really depends on the kit. Some kits are just paper plans. Others are fully built cases, and you have to drill pilot holes for screws and attach the crossover to the speakers. 

Some sources you can google for:

Madisound Speaker Store
Selah Audio
Solen.ca
Great Plains Audio
Meniscus Audio
Parts Express 

Best,

E

Since I have no access to woodworking, when I get serious I ask Lee Taylor of TaylorSpeakers.com to build cabinets for me. I ship the drivers to him for exact fitting, and I do all the speaker analysis, design and crossover construction.