The most dynamic & transparent bookshelf

I get it when I hear some speakers like Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary, they are musical, detailed, but not on extreme dynamic, it can go pretty low and loud, but still lack a bit more powerful punch. My next aim for powerful speakers, will be something near perfect immune to distortions, must be extreme dynamic, go very loud and does not make the sound quality collapsed, also I insist to stick with bookshelf size, few options in my mind:

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 (with NrT upgrade, worth?)
Mark&Daniel Ruby
Dynaudio DM 2/8
Proac Response D2
Soundfield Audio Monitor 1

For Dynaudio and Mark&Daniel, I have concern on power and drive efficiency, though I'm using a Class D Audio SDS-400C power amp, it work damn good with my Denton (warm + transparent gear goes really well). My considerations based on factors in this order: price, near full range dynamic, neutral and transparent sonic quality, availability (as I'm from Malaysia, not easy to achieve those speakers), and last your opinions? Any other recommendations? Once again, I'm not looking for speakers with colorations, must extremely dynamic, dead neatral and transparent without snake oil!
128x128wim1983

Showing 39 responses by wim1983

Zmanastronomy: Thanks, I'm afraid Argon 3 is out of my budget :(

Zd542: Yes, it's hard but I think Proac Response D2 suit me well, dead neutral and amazing bass range, for your info, I'm driving my speakers using no hype technology products like JDS Labs ODAC, Blue Jeans cables, and Class D Audio power amplifier, no preamp/ CD player / phono etc...
Mattmiller: Yes, I heard of Totem, they are good, but this Model 1, just too big and ugly to me? Also the price more than 2K, I try to get a pairs bookshelf within 2K? Possible?
Zmanastronomy: Yes, but that's old model? I believe not easy to get a pair of those, also the frequency range raise concern to me, for that price it seem Sierra-1 spec & craftsmanship most probably will win my heart :P
Mapman: Yes, Goldenear Ao3, Ohm Walsh Bookshelf, they are in my shortlist as well, I'm very tempted to go for the OHM. Can give more impressions how they sound? I see that the frequency response is very impressive, 32-20K range, WOW, that's seem a lot power and dynamic. Can you confirm the OHM can be drive with very high dynamic? How diffcult are they to position and sensitive to placement? Did you try some extreme stress test on volume and distortions?
Bombaywalla: Thanks. Wow, it seems the names appear quite frequent in the forum, though I'm hesitate to buy, they looks so small, as low as 50hz, maybe not low enough? Also price seem not so friendly, must be worth because of the unique material and technology, but I have to say I don't like the outlook, so ugly? At least should make it more standard look? Any other recommendations?
Timrhu: Thanks, I'm sure that a little but giant amazing speakers, except the deep bass, it seems 99% bookshelf monitor size speakers still struggle on this low frequency range sound, while a pairs of Joseph Audio Pulsar may take too many years of saving to buy :(

I guess I'm just started finding a good pair of bookshelf speakers, closest I can get will be Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1
Bombaywalla: Thanks again for your detailed explanation. Due to budget constraint and outlook preference, I'll have to opt out the Green Mountain Audio, while it seems the epiphony II is no more available...I'll continue my search...
Mapman: Ya perhaps I have heard too many times the name JBL and Klipsch, the praises & critics are pretty mixed up, so I'm not sure, also they have too many models that is not easy to narrow down to a "real" bookshelf I'm looking at, especially near full range series. By the way, what do you suggest that I can have a look?
Zd542: Argh, I have to say that audition is not available here in Malaysia for many state of the art speakers, as there are too many in USA, with good return policy. Also, it can be very fishy and tricky when you do audition, with today Internet still there are more than a lot of info there for me to evaluate and judge, though questionable in most aspects, but that's the only way to search for a reference level bookshelf speakers. So I have to be very careful in all considerations. Proac Response D2 is available in Malaysia, but the price is very high indeed, way over my budget, while the design can be a bit traditional, so better value invenstment, I'll opt for more moderm design speakers if possible. Any other recommendations?
Mateored: Around 2K would be very reasonable price for me, though still not easy for me to save :(
Dayglow: I have a check on the spec, it seems it does go low enough? 56hz -6db, hmm...
Tls49: Yes, I not only like Denton, but I have to say I love everything from sound to outlook of it, my whole music collection is listenable and enjoyable, as compare to Diamond 122 it does not earn "love" instead only like. So I think 86db sensitivity 6ohm could be not enough volume if I wanna do a party sound testing, but then speakers are design for different purposes, yes Denton is not suit for wild party aggressive kinda, but it actually pretty dynamic for me though, just on the absolute extreme benchmarking, it still lack ultimate punch, like some speakers that people mention about: Joseph Audio Pulsar or even the Grand Teton Gen2?
Speaking of power amp, yes I can assure that the Class D Audio power amp is indeed outstanding, I've got a NAD 3020i, the sound came out from Diamond 122, is bass overbloat, a little warm and less shine on treble, most importantly the sonic does not shine, I can spot this in classic track like Tutti! - Igor Stravinsky - The Firebird - Finale. So the things achieved on the Class D Audio poweramp is neutral, transparent and dynamic tonal balance. Also I notice at higher volume Class D Audio power amp able to control the woofer cone, absolutely fantastic! For small to medium, NAD 3020i still not bad, but not to the extent to cover all music styles and dynamic. So my current audio chain is pretty there, EXCEPT I need a more powerful mini monitor to complete my journey, sound not realistic huh?
Tsl49: To revise how dynamic is the Denton, I have to clarify with everybody here, again...I found that the speakers is able to drive at very high dynamic volume without distortions, but for some tracks like bass drum or piercing treble note, it will distort, hmm...so it can drive really really high dynamic volume, it can go party, for not works for all tracks, especially those less than perfect recording or record mastering at the extreme dynamic peak...hmm
Tls49: Thanks again for the recommendations, I had seen those 3 you have recommended, indeed look attractive to me, though price several folds high, except the Goldenear AON 3.
Zd542: Thanks for your reminder. Yay, I'm thinking is that possible too, also I'm starting to save cash now, so it just matter of time, eventually I can get a pair that satisfied me, so I need very careful thinking, consideration, and other measurement whenever possible. A pair of TAD reference 1 definitely is neverland for me but at the same time is dreamland for me, not that it's not the best, it just that I'm not capable of :(
Nyame: Yes, I have heard a lot of good things about KEF R300, very tempted to get a pair coz it fit in price, availability, outlook, and technology. Mind to share how fabulous it sound?
AllegroSound: Actually I can buy higher power model, which will double the powers, but do you think the Denton will work under so much power, can enlighten me? Also is Denton need so much power like 300 watts?
Tls49: Though I have concerns on how the sound quality, any thoughts on how both of them sound?
hmm, I think so, the Denton definitely has limitation, I guess I can only play it at sweet volume, though the bass is nothing but impressive by it's own. Hmm, so I need to look for higher sensitivity speakers, with amazing soundstage, imaging, details, and accuracy. It seems I got few to be added into the short list include:

Grand Teton Gen2 (this should be my only choice, in most aspects)
Legacy Audio Studio HD (anybody can comment on this?)
Wharfedale Jade 3 (those can get it at good price, but too big for me, also need special stand for this)
GoldenEar Aon 3 (price pretty close and still affordable)
KEF R300 (actually not cheap in my country)
Sonist Concerto 2 (wow, this got 95db sensitivity, pretty high)
Clearwave Resolution 6 (used pair, still not cheap)

and few others which I'm not affordable:
Speaker Art Super Clef (owner is low profile, hmm...)
Reference 3A MM de Capo BE Monitor (high price product)
Joseph Audio Pulsar (neverland OR dreamland only)

Thanks guys!
Nyame: Thanks for your explanation, may I know how good in terms of distortion resistance? How loud and still able to maintain accurate details and imaging?
Zd542: This one I understand, how the recording is mastering becomes always focus on how we evaluate and measure, but now that I found that some tracks bass notes actually does not distort when pass certain volume, this is different from what I hear last time, so this shock me that the Denton is "writing in", in other words, it getting powerful with more so called "burn in", this is one of the shortcomings of old traditional speakers...
Nyame: For near field computer to mid range bedroom listening, I found that bookshelf speakers is loud enough, I just need more dynamic and less distortion on the extreme frequency range.
Zd542: Well, yes audio chain is pretty complicated to begin with, I'll stick with scientific objective way on choosing my gears, that's why I look for budget DAC like JDS Labs ODAC, transparent setup just very important in music listening and analysis (sometimes), everything come later, and I have absolutely enjoy my music collection ever with my current setup, sound quality, sound stage, musical tonal balance, well except dynamic and bass perfection just with a pair of bookshelf speakers, which remains to be craved by most audiophile, having said that we are clear that there is no perfect solution, but a reasonable near perfect solution based on given assumptions is drafted, and I'll start from there...

Speaking of amp, I believe all good amp (I mean all properly design) sound the same at small to medium volume, yes this should be true, unless you mess up with your "transparent" audio chain with some snake oil, or you need big concert sound, which is not realistic to me...

So what I want after all? I need a pair of powerful bookshelf speakers with great tonal balance and accuracy, my current Denton considered near perfect, indeed I can buy the same model, but then I would like to try some other speakers with innovative technology. Also I plan to move my Diamond 122 to bedroom for casual listening, and find another powerful speakers to be played in a medium size living room.
Acousticfrontiers: Thanks for you recommendation. However my budget is limited, with same price I think I can get better speakers, while ATC loudspeakers look a bit traditional to me though, also the frequency response raise some concerns to me, seems not low enough.
Acousticfrontiers: Thanks for your clarifications. Though I'm very curious how the bass works without ports? So far I know that Wharfedale Jade 3 also no ports, I'm very tempted to get a pair of it, wonder how the 3-way Aperiodic system works, plus the price and audition is easier in my country. You see with the same price, I can get a floorstander Wharfedale Jade 5 instead, which really tempting to me :)
Zd542: Exactly, bravo that's why we are discussing on "speakers", this is only component in the chain that is very difficult to get best of it, because you need to consider price, again budget, then the way sound is generated, which is the most subjective aspect. Speakers to me is a beauty creation of state of the art object, it's very physical thing to consider, and a lot of fun when you hear it and look at it xD

By the way, what's your current system? I'm curious? Or you have too many, perhaps tell me what's your favorite? I can have a look haha
Zd542: I see that you are on America speakers, they look like alien to me, haha, those weird box must be full of magic...

For Vandersteen, hmm I heard some mixed praises and critics about them, I think it's not easy to setup, low price lower end is not attractive to me, while high price need complicated setup and money...
Zd542: Oh don't get me wrong, I like American products, you see my chain I bought JDS Labs ODAC, Blue Jeans cables, etc. As the technology is very advanced and mature I can say, much of the product free of snake oil, but more solid science proof. As I mentioned, it's the price my primary consideration here...

Also sound can be subjective to different persons, so I can foresee that one like it or not like it, it's not that the product not good sometimes, it's people way of thinking, CHEERS!
Zd542: It's sad, audition is not possible for me, I can solely based don reviews and measurements (though maybe not correct), it's Malaysia, not the HiFi wonderland USA. Also audition is kinda psychology trap to our brains, very fishy, very tricky, and very doubtful, even the setup is correct, human may tends to hear "something" else, expected and reality could be different.

Once again I concluded that I have no problem playing all my music collection with the Denton, but lack dynamics when play orchestra like this:
Joe Hisaishi in Budokan - Studio Ghibli 25 Years Concert

Thanks again for your recommendations. I'll take it!
Johnnyb53: Yes, it's should be easy for me to get this speakers. Though I'm not sure to get between Wharfedale Jade 3 and GoldenEar Aon3? Any further thoughts?

For Wharfedale Jade 3, the 3-way Aperiodic system seem very interesting and I hope it works.

While for GoldenEar Aon3, What Hi-Fi review mentioned lack dynamic?

So I'm curious to know when volume level is high, how's the sound compression? Collapsed?
Zd542: Thanks for your information. I'm not sure what I said had offence you. Sorry to bother you. I'll take care my attitude now. CHEERS!
Mapman: Thanks for your experience sharing. Golden Aon 3 has almost same price as Wharfedale Jade 3, but it seems the price of Golden Aon 3 offered at Malaysia is way over high than price in USA, hmm...I'll take some times for careful considerations and some auditions perhaps, since both of them are available in Malaysia for audition.
Tls49: Ya, that's the thing, the Denton is not able to take over 60% of my power amp full strength, so it's will be very interesting to see how the power amp drive the Wharfedale Jade 3. What's power range for Wharfedale Jade 3? Any thoughts and calculations?
Newbee: Yes I'll keep the Denton forever xD. I'll just need to get another pair with greater dynamic to be played at my hometown :P
Bcgator: Thanks for your advice. Yay I think I'll do some listening auditions with Wharfedale Jade 3 or GoldenEar Aon 3

Hopefully can do like a week audition at my home with huge collection of music, as few tracks testing does not help much, it seems most of the time I'm struck with British sound, hmm...
Newbee: You are the boss :), for that price and the famous Silverline, it must be damn good, I guess, neverland or dreamland for me though :(